From: Vadim Zeitlin on
On 2010-01-18, Lars Uffmann <aral(a)nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Creating components at run-time is not the issue I guess, but what about
> positioning them? Has anyone got any experience with controlling the
> sizer-concept via code?

I do it all the time without any particular problems.

> I could imagine to - for example - let the user put a "hold"-lock on a
> control, and then use the movement keys (or even the mouse) to move it
> around in the existing sizers, or create new sizers - similar to
> wxFormBuilder.

Implementing such UI would, of course, require an effort. But I don't see
why wouldn't it be possible. It would be however much simpler to implement
a more restrictive UI, e.g. allow to click the first control and then the
second and exchange them and also allow hiding/showing them.

> So - as I do not like to reinvent the wheel - has anyone done such a
> task (or a similar one) and has any recommendations/experiences you
> would like to share?

Most of wx dialog designers do something like this and most if not all of
them are written in wx so you should probably look at them.

Regards,
VZ

http://www.tt-solutions.com/
From: Lars Uffmann on
Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On 2010-01-18, Lars Uffmann <aral(a)nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>> I could imagine to - for example - let the user put a "hold"-lock on a
>> control, and then use the movement keys (or even the mouse) to move it
>> [..]
> Implementing such UI would, of course, require an effort. But I don't see
> why wouldn't it be possible. It would be however much simpler to implement
> a more restrictive UI, e.g. allow to click the first control and then the
> second and exchange them and also allow hiding/showing them.

Of course exchanging controls is easier to code, however I have become
more and more convinced over the years that an intuitive-to-use UI is
the most heavily weighted aspect for user acceptance of a software - so
I'd probably try to make it as intuitive as possible without breaking
the concept of sizers... Let's see when I get around to this :)

> Most of wx dialog designers do something like this and most if not all of
> them are written in wx so you should probably look at them.

Okay - Thanks for the feedback!

Btw, in case anyone would like to know where wxWidgets is being useful
for me:

I have used my wxWidgets applications to successfully
a) uplink a test (script) program to the experiment MSL on the
international space station in mid-October 2009

b) extract downlinked files (directory listings, mass spectrometer data)
from the same payload around the same time, then in early december, and
again just the previous week and we will continue to use this for all
upcoming experiments (three in the next 3 weeks, and seven more, later
this year)

Both programs have become our official software for this purpose, that
is in the Microgravity User Support Centre at the DLR Cologne (german
aerospace agency). The payload MSL is the Materials Science Laboratory
aboard the Destiny (US) Module/ISS.

So a big thank you to all authors and contributors of wxWidgets!

Best Regards,

Lars