From: Phil on
Configuration deployment test -> staging -> prod ? How to automatically

I would like to know if there are any software that can help us propagating
SharePoint configurations changes from one environment to another?

More precisely, when we start working on new functionalities, we do
everything on the development server, then once everything is ok, we deploy
to test, staging and so on.

The problem we are facing is that most of the new functionalities only
require the configuration of OOTB features. Since those operations takes a
lot time and are error prone when reproducing them manually, we would like to
know if there are tools available that can push those changes for us without
affecting production data such as the document already inserted in document
libraries, document metadata, workflows and content types ?

Type of changes we are doing:

Create and remove document library view
Modification of existing document library view

Create and remove site, list, list items and document library permissions
Modification of existing site, list, list items and document library
permissions
Modification to list general setting, content types
Etc…

I know they are tool that can highlight the differences between two
environments (global compare) but we need something that can speed up this
lengthy portion of our work and also help us improving our software quality.

Thanks in advance

FYI: We are using MOSS 2007 SP2,WSS SP2, NLB environment 2 Front end, SQL
2005, Window Server 2003 R2
From: Brad Helicher Brad on
Hi Phil,

Per your question re: software options for propagating updates across
SharePoint environments, you may choose to also consider ROSS from RepliWeb
(3rd party solution: www.repliweb.com/ross). ROSS is built to manage
replication/deployment across stages (ex: dev to test to prod) and
multi-site. ... with a management layer to govern the process of change
control.

Good luck w/ your project.

Brad