From: firepluswater on
So some of the papers I am looking at represent convolution in 'matrix'
form in one of two ways:

y[n] = H^H * X where H^H = hermitian (conj transpose) of filter H
and
y[n] = H^t * X where H^t = transpose of filter H

Why is the first formula conjugated?

To get a better sense of what I mean..incase my notation above is confusing
you.

I am trying to understand why on wikipedia the formula for the error of the
RLS algorithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_least_squares_filter
- located at end under "RLS SUMMARY" section) is
e(n) = d(n) - H(n-1)^t * x(n)

while here
(http://www.researchusa.org/uploads/avi/pVPGuUnUhxGgcpr0UdAn.pdf) on page 4
the formula is
e(n) = d(n) - H(n-1)^H * x(n)

The equations in these two papers seem to be the exact same..but they
differ just on whether H should be conjugated..anyone know why?
From: HardySpicer on
On Apr 17, 7:09 pm, "firepluswater" <ampierce(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> So some of the papers I am looking at represent convolution in 'matrix'
> form in one of two ways:
>
> y[n] = H^H * X where H^H = hermitian (conj transpose) of filter H
> and
> y[n] = H^t * X where H^t = transpose of filter H
>
> Why is the first formula conjugated?
>
> To get a better sense of what I mean..incase my notation above is confusing
> you.
>
> I am trying to understand why on wikipedia the formula for the error of the
> RLS algorithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_least_squares_filter
> - located at end under "RLS SUMMARY" section) is
> e(n) = d(n) - H(n-1)^t * x(n)
>
> while here
> (http://www.researchusa.org/uploads/avi/pVPGuUnUhxGgcpr0UdAn.pdf) on page 4
> the formula is
> e(n) = d(n) - H(n-1)^H * x(n)
>
> The equations in these two papers seem to be the exact same..but they
> differ just on whether H should be conjugated..anyone know why?

If it is complex then you use conjugate transpose. To be honest, a lot
of poser engineer/maths types put Hermitian
when it is not actually needed but try and be general. For real data
you don't need Hermitian. In some comms problems however
you have I and q data so the problem becomes complex. For the rest of
us who use real data then it is an unnescessary complication!

Hardy
From: Rune Allnor on
On 17 apr, 09:09, "firepluswater" <ampierce(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> So some of the papers I am looking at represent convolution in 'matrix'
> form in one of two ways:
>
> y[n] = H^H * X where H^H = hermitian (conj transpose) of filter H
> and
> y[n] = H^t * X where H^t = transpose of filter H
>
> Why is the first formula conjugated?
>
> To get a better sense of what I mean..incase my notation above is confusing
> you.

The notation is standard.

You need the conjugate if you work with complex-valued data.
It's a property of the inner product between complex-valued
vectors. For real-valued X the Hermitian X^H and the
transpose X^T are equal.

Unfortunately, a lot of authors, both on DSP and on linear
algebra, only write the real-valued form when they derive
results on matrix form. There are cases where one needs to
treat the complex-valued case somewhat differently than the
real-valued case, that thus are missing from the textbooks.

In case you need to 'complexify' a real-valued expression,
you might want to be aware that there might be more to it
than merely substituting superscript H for superscript T.

Rune
From: Tim Wescott on
HardySpicer wrote:
> On Apr 17, 7:09 pm, "firepluswater" <ampierce(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> So some of the papers I am looking at represent convolution in 'matrix'
>> form in one of two ways:
>>
>> y[n] = H^H * X where H^H = hermitian (conj transpose) of filter H
>> and
>> y[n] = H^t * X where H^t = transpose of filter H
>>
>> Why is the first formula conjugated?
>>
>> To get a better sense of what I mean..incase my notation above is confusing
>> you.
>>
>> I am trying to understand why on wikipedia the formula for the error of the
>> RLS algorithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_least_squares_filter
>> - located at end under "RLS SUMMARY" section) is
>> e(n) = d(n) - H(n-1)^t * x(n)
>>
>> while here
>> (http://www.researchusa.org/uploads/avi/pVPGuUnUhxGgcpr0UdAn.pdf) on page 4
>> the formula is
>> e(n) = d(n) - H(n-1)^H * x(n)
>>
>> The equations in these two papers seem to be the exact same..but they
>> differ just on whether H should be conjugated..anyone know why?
>
> If it is complex then you use conjugate transpose. To be honest, a lot
> of poser engineer/maths types put Hermitian
> when it is not actually needed but try and be general. For real data
> you don't need Hermitian. In some comms problems however
> you have I and q data so the problem becomes complex. For the rest of
> us who use real data then it is an unnescessary complication!

Is it poser or poseur? Would I be a poser to say 'poseur' without
knowing French? Or would I be a poseur to say 'poser' without being a
rocker?

(I have listened to Doug & Dave -- does that mean I can say 'poser'?)

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: HardySpicer on
On Apr 17, 10:01 pm, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 17 apr, 09:09, "firepluswater" <ampierce(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So some of the papers I am looking at represent convolution in 'matrix'
> > form in one of two ways:
>
> > y[n] = H^H * X where H^H = hermitian (conj transpose) of filter H
> > and
> > y[n] = H^t * X where H^t = transpose of filter H
>
> > Why is the first formula conjugated?
>
> > To get a better sense of what I mean..incase my notation above is confusing
> > you.
>
> The notation is standard.
>
> You need the conjugate if you work with complex-valued data.
> It's a property of the inner product between complex-valued
> vectors. For real-valued X the Hermitian X^H and the
> transpose X^T are equal.
>
> Unfortunately, a lot of authors, both on DSP and on linear
> algebra, only write the real-valued form when they derive
> results on matrix form. There are cases where one needs to
> treat the complex-valued case somewhat differently than the
> real-valued case, that thus are missing from the textbooks.
>
> In case you need to 'complexify' a real-valued expression,
> you might want to be aware that there might be more to it
> than merely substituting superscript H for superscript T.
>
> Rune

All true but for begiiners books it doesn't help one biy. In control
theory we used to use
'*' to denote Hermition transpose. Looked a little simpler than
raising to the power H!

Hardy