From: mukeshp11 on
Dear All,

I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.

Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.

I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
point DSP.

So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there will
be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
speed.

I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
almost same as floating point.

Pls.
Comment.

Rgds
Mukesh

From: Tim Wescott on
mukeshp11 wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.
>
> Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.

Mostly you'll be able to think less about the range of the individual
variables; with floating point you'll retain what precision you have for
almost any reasonable value.

> I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
> point DSP.

On the contrary, it is fixed point. 1e-6 in 1r31 fixed-point only has
12 bits of precision left to distinguish it from its neighbor. 1e-6 in
IEEE 32-bit floating point has 25.

> So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there will
> be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
> speed.

Depending on the problem, you may never need to convert. Speed
differences depend on the processor. Two processors, each offering a
single-cycle MAC at the same clock rate, are going to be about the same
speed. But implementing a single-cycle floating point MAC takes a lot
more hardware than doing the same thing with fixed-point. So -- all
else being equal -- you can expect the floating point processor to be
bigger, more costly, and more power-hungry.

> I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
> almost same as floating point.

Floating point representation takes bits away from the mantissa for the
exponent, reducing the precision available in the number in return for a
gain in range. For IEEE 32-bit floating point you end up with 24 bits
of storage for the mantissa, with an implied leading 1, giving you 25
bits of effective precision.

If you use 32-bit fixed point vs. 32-bit floating point and design well,
for most DSP problems the accuracy will be better with fixed point,
because you're not using up 7 bits worth of precision for the exponent.

For many of the closed-loop control systems I design, 32 bits of
precision is perfectly adequate, yet 25 is not -- so I either have to
allow a tremendous speed hit by going to 64-bit floating point or I have
to use 32 bit fixed point. Fixed point often wins, unless the control
loop is a slow and/or minor part of the system and as such doesn't get a
chance to drive cost.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
mukeshp11 <mukeshkumar.chaudhary(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.cgl.co.in> wrote:

> I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.

> Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.

> I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
> point DSP.

> So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there will
> be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
> speed.

I believe that most DSP algorithms are best implemented in fixed point.
In some cases, keeping more bits for intermediate values then needed
for the result is useful. Much of the time, you will need fewer
extra bits than you would for an exponent in a floating point value.

> I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
> almost same as floating point.

-- glen
From: steveu on
>mukeshp11 <mukeshkumar.chaudhary(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.cgl.co.in> wrote:
>
>> I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.
>
>> Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.
>
>> I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
>> point DSP.
>
>> So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there
will
>> be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
>> speed.
>
>I believe that most DSP algorithms are best implemented in fixed point.
>In some cases, keeping more bits for intermediate values then needed
>for the result is useful. Much of the time, you will need fewer
>extra bits than you would for an exponent in a floating point value.

Some things only work in fixed point. Various sliding algorithms only work
if you extract from one end of the window exactly what you injected into
the other. In general, floating pointing arithmetic causes these algorithms
to drift off.

>> I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
>> almost same as floating point.

Steve

From: Al Clark on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in news:hqdko4$3dh$4
@naig.caltech.edu:

> mukeshp11 <mukeshkumar.chaudhary(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.cgl.co.in> wrote:
>
>> I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.
>
>> Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.
>
>> I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
>> point DSP.
>
>> So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there
will
>> be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
>> speed.
>
> I believe that most DSP algorithms are best implemented in fixed point.
> In some cases, keeping more bits for intermediate values then needed
> for the result is useful. Much of the time, you will need fewer
> extra bits than you would for an exponent in a floating point value.
>
>> I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
>> almost same as floating point.
>
> -- glen

Some algorithms are much easier in floating point. For example FFTs allow
you to avoid scaling between butterflys.

In general with fixed you gain precision, in float, dynamic range.
I probably split 50 - 50.

Floating point DSPs usually are also fixed point processors with similar
computation speed. For example SHARC is 32 fixed and 32/40 bit float. Both
types do a SISD MAC in 1 instruction. You choose whatever makes sense for
the situation. Floating emulation wth a fixed pont DSP is usually very
computationally expensive.

Often fixed point DSPs are limited to 16 bit precision. This means that you
are likely to need double precision (from a 16 bit word perspective). This
may also be true with the 24 bit 56K stuff. Double precision increases
computation requirements by 4x.

Floating point DSPs usually consume much more power, however ADI's latest
SHARC, the ADSP-21478 or ADSP-21479 are interesting exceptions.

Al Clark
www.danvillesignal.com

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3