From: Tim Wescott on
Al Clark wrote:
> glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in news:hqdko4$3dh$4
> @naig.caltech.edu:
>
>> mukeshp11 <mukeshkumar.chaudhary(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.cgl.co.in> wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.
>>
>>> Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.
>>
>>> I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
>>> point DSP.
>>
>>> So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there
> will
>>> be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
>>> speed.
>> I believe that most DSP algorithms are best implemented in fixed point.
>> In some cases, keeping more bits for intermediate values then needed
>> for the result is useful. Much of the time, you will need fewer
>> extra bits than you would for an exponent in a floating point value.
>>
>>> I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
>>> almost same as floating point.
>> -- glen
>
> Some algorithms are much easier in floating point. For example FFTs allow
> you to avoid scaling between butterflys.

Something like a Kalman filter would also be possible in fixed point,
but far, far easier to implement using floating.

> In general with fixed you gain precision, in float, dynamic range.
> I probably split 50 - 50.
>
> Floating point DSPs usually are also fixed point processors with similar
> computation speed. For example SHARC is 32 fixed and 32/40 bit float. Both
> types do a SISD MAC in 1 instruction. You choose whatever makes sense for
> the situation. Floating emulation wth a fixed pont DSP is usually very
> computationally expensive.
>
> Often fixed point DSPs are limited to 16 bit precision. This means that you
> are likely to need double precision (from a 16 bit word perspective). This
> may also be true with the 24 bit 56K stuff. Double precision increases
> computation requirements by 4x.

If the problem is right you can go double precision in the data and
single in the coefficients -- this only increases computation
requirements by 2x, but pretty much assumes that you're coding in assembly.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: steve on
On Apr 17, 9:35 am, "mukeshp11"
<mukeshkumar.chaudhary(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.cgl.co.in> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am currently using fixed point DSP F2810.
>
> Now what advantage i will get if i get shifted to floating point.
>
> I mean i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP so virtually its floating
> point DSP.
>
> So is there any diffrence or there will be speed difference as there will
> be no conversion of IQ math is required in floating point DSP. so more
> speed.
>
> I guess if i use IQ math library in fixed pt. DSP the accuracy will be
> almost same as floating point.
>
> Pls.
> Comment.
>
> Rgds
> Mukesh

Floating point reduces our software development by 1-2 man months,
that is the time we would need to make sure our fixed point scaling
was adequate for the entire range of inputs. With high volume
productions the 1-2 months spent will be more than offset by the lower
fixed point DSP costs, with low volume productions, the float is the
way to go.
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Al Clark <aclark(a)danvillesignal.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>> I believe that most DSP algorithms are best implemented in fixed point.
>> In some cases, keeping more bits for intermediate values then needed
>> for the result is useful. Much of the time, you will need fewer
>> extra bits than you would for an exponent in a floating point value.

(snip)

> Some algorithms are much easier in floating point. For example
> FFTs allow you to avoid scaling between butterflys.

Well, you can also avoid scaling by using a large enough fixed
point type...

> In general with fixed you gain precision, in float,
> dynamic range. I probably split 50 - 50.

> Floating point DSPs usually are also fixed point processors with similar
> computation speed. For example SHARC is 32 fixed and 32/40 bit float. Both
> types do a SISD MAC in 1 instruction. You choose whatever makes sense for
> the situation. Floating emulation wth a fixed pont DSP is usually very
> computationally expensive.

> Often fixed point DSPs are limited to 16 bit precision. This means that you
> are likely to need double precision (from a 16 bit word perspective). This
> may also be true with the 24 bit 56K stuff. Double precision increases
> computation requirements by 4x.

Yes, but even worse if you only have 16 bits for floating point.

Now, if you have 32 bits available, say for an FFT on 16 bit source,
is 32 bit float better than 32 bit fixed?

From: Steve Pope on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> Some algorithms are much easier in floating point. For example
>> FFTs allow you to avoid scaling between butterflys.

>Well, you can also avoid scaling by using a large enough fixed
>point type...

>> In general with fixed you gain precision, in float,
>> dynamic range. I probably split 50 - 50.

One frequent (and interesting) (and often ignored) tradeoff is between
doing fixed point in the log domain, or floating point. I have
often seen designers doing lengthy implementation in a log domain
without bothering to think whether floating point would do better.

Steve
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

steveu wrote:

> Some things only work in fixed point. Various sliding algorithms only work
> if you extract from one end of the window exactly what you injected into
> the other. In general, floating pointing arithmetic causes these algorithms
> to drift off.

Noise shaping in a floating point is tricky, and the quantization errors
in floating point are not very trivial, as they are also floating point.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last