From: hadi motamedi on
Dear All
To connect my Solaris8 Sparc to Internet , I configured the followings
on my Solaris8 server:
/etc/hosts : set the ip address
/etc/netmasks : set the netmask here
/etc/resolv.conf : set the DNS server ip address here
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/defaultrouter : set the GW ip address here
Use of route command to define route
To this end, my Solaris8 can ping the DNS server and valid ip
addresses but it cannot resolve url addresses. Can you please let me
know what is missing in my case?
Thank you
From: John D Groenveld on
In article <bdfc7edb-f49c-46f7-bec3-d129f01ea2cc(a)r18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
hadi motamedi <motamedi24(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>/etc/nsswitch.conf

$ egrep '^hosts:' /etc/nsswitch.conf

John
groenveld(a)acm.org
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> To connect my Solaris8 Sparc to Internet , I configured the followings
> on my Solaris8 server:
> /etc/hosts : set the ip address
> /etc/netmasks : set the netmask here
> /etc/resolv.conf : set the DNS server ip address here
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> /etc/defaultrouter : set the GW ip address here
> Use of route command to define route
> To this end, my Solaris8 can ping the DNS server and valid ip
> addresses but it cannot resolve url addresses. Can you please let me
> know what is missing in my case?
> Thank you

What did you put in /etc/resolv.conf????
In /etc/hosts?

What did you put in /etc/nsswitch.conf????
From: hadi motamedi on
> What did you put in /etc/resolv.conf????
> In /etc/hosts?
>
> What did you put in /etc/nsswitch.conf????
Thank you very much. At last,I figured out that I need to modify my /
etc/nsswitch.conf 'hosts:files' to 'hosts:files dns' and it got
through.
Thank you again for your help