From: JoeDoe on
Hi guys.

I really hope you can help me out on this matter.

I have an old Commodore 128 with a 1571 diskdrive. In my youth I also
had a Final Cartgride 3 on where I created a whole lot of notes
through the graphical interface (some kind of Notepad). I still have
the disks but not the FC3 any longer :-(

Are there any chance that I somehow can mount the 1571 diskdrive on my
Windows PC and emulate the FC3 and in that way get my old notes into
my PC?

I will be forever greatful for any help - thanks a lot.
From: Robert Roland on
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:03:37 -0800 (PST), JoeDoe <joedoe10(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Are there any chance that I somehow can mount the 1571 diskdrive on my
>Windows PC and emulate the FC3 and in that way get my old notes into
>my PC?

If your motherboard has a parallel port on it, you can make/buy/borrow
an XM1541 or XA1541 cable. That cable, paired with the OpenCBM
software, you can transfer data to and from your PC.

The Vice emulator can emulate FC3 with a CRT file:
http://www.c64.ch/programming/tfc3.zip

Vice can copy text from the emulated C64, but it won't do you any
good, since the FC3 notepad is graphical. I'm don't know how you could
get the data from Vice into Windows, but I'd bet there is a way.
--
RoRo
From: mrtinbspam on
On 9 Feb., 17:49, Robert Roland <f...(a)ddress.no> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:03:37 -0800 (PST), JoeDoe <joedo...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Are there any chance that I somehow can mount the 1571 diskdrive on my
> >Windows PC and emulate the FC3 and in that way get my old notes into
> >my PC?
>
> If your motherboard has a parallel port on it, you can make/buy/borrow
> an XM1541 or XA1541 cable. That cable, paired with the OpenCBM
> software, you can transfer data to and from your PC.
>
> The Vice emulator can emulate FC3 with a CRT file:http://www.c64.ch/programming/tfc3.zip
>
> Vice can copy text from the emulated C64, but it won't do you any
> good, since the FC3 notepad is graphical. I'm don't know how you could
> get the data from Vice into Windows, but I'd bet there is a way.
> --
> RoRo

When the 1571 is connected to the PC via the OpenCBM driver, you use
'd64copy' to create D64 files on your pc.

To extract the Notepad files from the D64s use the program 'c1541'
which is in the tools folder of VICE.

The Notepad files are plain PETSCII files, which can be converted to
ASCII with the program 'petcat' which is also in the tools folder of
VICE.

/mrtinb.
From: JoeDoe on
> When the 1571 is connected to the PC via the OpenCBM driver, you use
> 'd64copy' to create D64 files on your pc.
>
> To extract the Notepad files from the D64s use the program 'c1541'
> which is in the tools folder of VICE.
>
> The Notepad files are plain PETSCII files, which can be converted to
> ASCII with the program 'petcat' which is also in the tools folder of
> VICE.

Thanks a lot for the two answers - I now have new hope :-) I have just
bought a XM1541 cable on eBay and I hope that I with this cable (and
your guidance in here) can transfer my stuff to my PC. Thanks guys.
From: JoeDoe on
On 9 Feb., 18:41, "mrtinbs...(a)gmail.com" <mrtinbs...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> When the 1571 is connected to the PC via the OpenCBM driver, you use
> 'd64copy' to create D64 files on your pc.
>
> To extract the Notepad files from the D64s use the program 'c1541'
> which is in the tools folder of VICE.
>
> The Notepad files are plain PETSCII files, which can be converted to
> ASCII with the program 'petcat' which is also in the tools folder of
> VICE.

This was exactly the solution needed for this - thanks a lot mrtinbs.
I have now converted all my old C128 notepad files into PC ASCII so I
am a happy man now :-)