From: Auntie Jack on
On 20 Mar, 15:41, "Andy B." <a_bo...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist or
> there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other ideas?"Auntie Jack" <raycorb...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
> >> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
> >> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
> >> no go.
>
> >> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
> >> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
> >> Server to connect to.
> >> Jack
>
> > Solved it. Try this:
> > Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
> > Configuration Manager
>
> > Click on SQL Server Services
>
> > Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
> > that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
> > Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
> > (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
> > \MYMACHINENAME.
> > For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
> > UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack

If it says that the Server cannot be found or doesn't exist, it seems
to be that the name you have entered is not the correct way of
referring to the SQL Server. Use the steps above to make sure that the
name is correct. (local)\SQLExpress should at least enable you to
connect.

Are you trying to create a dsn independently of Access? I'd try that
first. Go Control Panel, System and Security, Double click Data
Sources ODBC then the File DSN tab. Click Add, select SQL Server,
enter names for the files (doesn't matter what they are), then the
wizard requests "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" This is
the money question. (local)\SQLExpress should get you through. The
options in the dropdowns wont necessarily help you here - type (local)
\SQLExpress in manually. Select Windows Authentication, then under
"Change the Default Database to" on the next screen you should see
your database names. After you save this, then you can use it to link
your tables. You can also open the dsn file in notepad to see what
goes in your connect string.
From: Andy B. on

"Auntie Jack" <raycorbin1(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 20 Mar, 15:41, "Andy B." <a_bo...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist
>> or
>> there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other
>> ideas?"Auntie Jack" <raycorb...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Solved it. Try this:
>> > Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
>> > Configuration Manager
>>
>> > Click on SQL Server Services
>>
>> > Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
>> > that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
>> > Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
>> > (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
>> > \MYMACHINENAME.
>> > For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
>> > UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack
>
> If it says that the Server cannot be found or doesn't exist, it seems
> to be that the name you have entered is not the correct way of
> referring to the SQL Server. Use the steps above to make sure that the
> name is correct. (local)\SQLExpress should at least enable you to
> connect.
>
> Are you trying to create a dsn independently of Access? I'd try that
> first. Go Control Panel, System and Security, Double click Data
> Sources ODBC then the File DSN tab. Click Add, select SQL Server,
> enter names for the files (doesn't matter what they are), then the
> wizard requests "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" This is
> the money question. (local)\SQLExpress should get you through. The
> options in the dropdowns wont necessarily help you here - type (local)
> \SQLExpress in manually. Select Windows Authentication, then under
> "Change the Default Database to" on the next screen you should see
> your database names. After you save this, then you can use it to link
> your tables. You can also open the dsn file in notepad to see what
> goes in your connect string.

Hi.

I was able to connect to the local server. I tried doing a remote server,
but no matter what I try, ODBC, DSN and regular connection fails. When I was
able to go to file>new and make a project(new data) and connect to the local
server, I get the following error: "The new database wizard failed to create
the new database 'SqlDataProject'. The new database wizard needs to be
connected to sql server 6SP4 or later. Connect to a data source". Any other
ideas?