From: Auntie Jack on
Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008
database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link
to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't
see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give
myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray
From: Andy B. on
You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I
tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and
tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also
tried using Access 2010 beta, but it doesn't even give me a choice for sql
server 2008. It wants an ODBC provider but I don't have one. Any ideas?

From: Auntie Jack on
Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
no go.

Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
Server to connect to.
Jack
From: Auntie Jack on
On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
> no go.
>
> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
> Server to connect to.
> Jack

Solved it. Try this:
Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
Configuration Manager

Click on SQL Server Services

Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
(local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
\MYMACHINENAME.
For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack
From: Andy B. on
Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist or
there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other ideas?