From: MOCK on
I am trying to connect from another server (either a web application, or even
using SQL Server), to an instance on my laptop.
I have enabled all the settings that I felt were needed based on
research...but still cannot connect.
I get the following error.
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a
connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.
Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to
allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 -
Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
From: Erland Sommarskog on
MOCK (MOCK(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:

> I am trying to connect from another server (either a web application, or
> even using SQL Server), to an instance on my laptop.
> I have enabled all the settings that I felt were needed based on
> research...but still cannot connect.
> I get the following error.
> A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing
> a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not
> accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server
> is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network
> Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Verify that SQL Server is running.
Verify that SQL Server has TCP/IP enabled (and that you restarted
SQL Server since you enabled it).
Verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running.
Verify that you specify the instance name when you connect.
Verify that any firewall permits traffic on the required ports. (UDP
1434 for the browser, and check SQL Server Config Mgr for which port
SQL Server is listening on.)

Links for SQL Server Books Online: