From: Trevor A on
I've just connected an old HDD to an XP PC via a caddy. It recognised it
straight away (whilst my newer Vista machine wouldn't).

It won't let me into my user fold though I can get into other user folders.
Presumably this is because it would have had a password when in it's
original machine? Is there a way to access my files?

From: Shenan Stanley on
Trevor A wrote:
> I've just connected an old HDD to an XP PC via a caddy. It
> recognised it straight away (whilst my newer Vista machine
> wouldn't).
> It won't let me into my user fold though I can get into other user
> folders. Presumably this is because it would have had a password
> when in it's original machine? Is there a way to access my files?

Please do not multi-post. If you feel it necessary to post in more than one
newsgroup - please cross-post. It saves you and those reading and
responding to it time, effort and annoyance. ;-)

Please see my answer to your identical post elsewhere.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Bruce Chambers on
Trevor A wrote:
> I've just connected an old HDD to an XP PC via a caddy. It recognised it
> straight away (whilst my newer Vista machine wouldn't).
>
> It won't let me into my user fold though I can get into other user
> folders. Presumably this is because it would have had a password when in
> it's original machine? Is there a way to access my files?

If you hadn't encrypted the data files (which could not have been
done with WinXP Home), you may be facing nothing more than a simple
permissions issue. Have you tried taking ownership of the old folders?

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: