From: timOleary on
Problem began on Saturday. When PC got to the black screen with
Windows logo, and the marque goes to the right, it never progressed
past this screen. I notice the display flickered once, like it was
trying to launch, but nogo.
So I forced system to shutdown, restarted and got the safe mode start
screen and selected safe mode with network.
Was asked if I wanted to restore, clicked home, picked two days
earlier (3/18/10) since i might have messed it up during the last
session (3/19/10). System restarted and then started OK on Sunday.
This morning (Monday) same symptom. Had to leave for work, but got
home and Tried restore point using a few different dates, it didn't
work, got safe mode start screen tried safe mode with network and got
messages after rebooting that it actually hadn't restored.
Tried to boot off my system CD, but don't know how.
Finally when in the safe mode page I selected a choice I had not
noticed earlier, 'last known configuration that worked' or something
like that.
Now I am in that session, and all features are working. I just created
a new restore point, but need resources to study so I can repair
windows, by booting from system CD. At one point in a DOS type screen
it asked for a password, but I am the only user on this PC and do not
use a p/w. I do not know how to respond to the prompts.
What a mess. Need a tutorial or resources. please help