From: Anthony Campbell on
On 2010-04-17, Anthony Campbell <ac(a)acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> I really can't understand why it's so difficult to do this. It's not
> supposed to be.

Sorry to follow up to myself, but I thought I'd report that I finally
found the solution. It was quite simple, as such things often are.

I first start the link to the server with "pon <tunnel name>". (Must do
as root).

Next, delete the default gateway with "ip route del default"
Then recreate it with "route add default gw <server ip>".

A few things to notice:

1. As <server ip> I had to use the one that appears on the same line as
"dev ppp0", not the one that I was given to put into the Windows or Mac
config.

2. I found I had to start the browser (firefox) BEFORE doing the above,
otherwise it couldn't find any sites.

3. I turned off the firewall for this though I don't know if it was
necessary.

I'll write it all up in more detail on my web site.

Thanks to everyone for help.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)

From: alexd on
On 17/04/10 16:20, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> 2. I found I had to start the browser (firefox) BEFORE doing the above,
> otherwise it couldn't find any sites.

I think this is a dialup-related bug/feature in Firefox; I've got a VPN
client that creates a ppp0 when connected, and I've found that Firefox
stops working if ppp0 goes down/up, until I File > Work Offline and
online again. Everything else [ping, konqueror, ssh, etc] works fine.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
17:30:36 up 8 days, 6:44, 2 users, load average: 0.72, 0.29, 0.20
From: Anthony Campbell on
On 2010-04-17, alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/04/10 16:20, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
>> 2. I found I had to start the browser (firefox) BEFORE doing the above,
>> otherwise it couldn't find any sites.
>
> I think this is a dialup-related bug/feature in Firefox; I've got a VPN
> client that creates a ppp0 when connected, and I've found that Firefox
> stops working if ppp0 goes down/up, until I File > Work Offline and
> online again. Everything else [ping, konqueror, ssh, etc] works fine.

Thanks for the tip - worth knowing.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk