From: chuck on
XP Pro SP 3

Copied a shortcut to my LAN network connection to
the desktop so I can connect only when I want to use
the net. Works a treat.

But every so often when I try to enable the LAN, I
get a Connection Failed! nastygram. Reboot and
all is again well.

Why is that???
From: Elmo on
chuck wrote:
> XP Pro SP 3
>
> Copied a shortcut to my LAN network connection to
> the desktop so I can connect only when I want to use
> the net. Works a treat.
>
> But every so often when I try to enable the LAN, I
> get a Connection Failed! nastygram. Reboot and
> all is again well.
>
> Why is that???

Open Device Manager, open the properties on your ethernet card, click
the Power tab, and deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power".

You can do the same thing with a USB device by disabling the power
saving feature of all "USB Root Hub" entries.

--
Joe =o)
From: chuck on
Elmo wrote:
> Open Device Manager, open the properties on your ethernet card, click
> the Power tab, and deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device
> to save power".
>
> You can do the same thing with a USB device by disabling the power
> saving feature of all "USB Root Hub" entries.

Great, many thanks.

I think I prolly did this way back when,
but just recently installed new HD and reinstalled XP.

chuck