From: Troels Arvin on
Troels Arvin wrote:

Hello again,

The solution became adding (ENABLE=BROKEN) to the JDBC URL:

db_url = jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ENABLE=BROKEN)
(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=somehost.example.com)(PORT=1521)))
(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=sidname)))

(all in one line)

The "(ENABLE=BROKEN)" option asks the operating system to regularly send
TCP keep-alive messages for the connection.

From: Troels Arvin on
Troels Arvin wrote:

Hello,

Yet another followup to my own question:

> The "(ENABLE=BROKEN)" option asks the operating system to regularly send
> TCP keep-alive messages for the connection.

To make a difference, in my case, an operating system parameter regarding
keep-alive had to be adjusted. The JDBC app runs on AIX, and this command
was needed on the AIX server:
no -o tcp_keepidle=200

This means that the OS will wait and see for 200 half-seconds: If the
connection is still idle after this time, keep-alive packets will start
being sent at regular intervals.

(Default is 14400, so going all the way to 200 may be an overkill, but it
seems to work here. And keep-alive packets don't amount to much trafic.)

Note: When the server reboots, the parameter is reset to default, so the
"no" command needs to be integrated in a suiting boot script.

From: joel garry on
On Jan 13, 4:24 am, Troels Arvin <tro...(a)arvin.dk> wrote:
> Troels Arvin wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Yet another followup to my own question:
>
> > The "(ENABLE=BROKEN)" option asks the operating system to regularly send

That has got to be one of the more accurately named commands.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"... students should be educated in a way that enables them to figure
From: Gunter Herrmann on
Hi!

Mark D Powell wrote:

> Sessions can also be terminated via the user profile which has an idle
> time setting and also through the use of the database resource manager
> so if you do not find any sqlnet settings that seem to apply check
> these.

You will be able to identify such a "pre-terminated" session as SNIPED.
It will stay in that state until it tries to reconnect.

brgds
Gunter

--
Gunter Herrmann