From: Peter Duniho on
Mr. Arnold wrote:
> [...]
>>> Assuming the use scenario is exactly as above (object is simply a
>>> container for a string object), how is that better than simply
>>> returning a string object from a method? Or passing a string
>>> variable by-reference (i.e. with "out")?
>
> What -- you think it's about something being better? All I provided was
> a simple solution no more or no less.
>
> I don't need you in my face about it.

I'm not in your face. I'm asking a simple question, with the assumption
that since you proposed the solution, you may have some valid reason for
preferring it over some other approach.

I can understand why, if you don't actually have a good answer for the
question, you might be so embarrassed that you wind up reacting so
negatively. But otherwise, you might consider just answering the
question rather than wandering around with that chip on your shoulder.

As for whether "it's about something being better", well�personally, I
try my best to provide the _best_ solution, not just _a_ solution. I
admit I don't always meet that goal, but I do try, and I'm not offended
if somehow someone reveals to me, even in an oblique way, that I've failed.

Assuming some solutions are in fact better than others (and they aren't
always), why not choose the one that's best? And what's wrong with a
calm, rational discussion about why one solution might be better than
another?

Try to not take things so personally. It's not about you. It's simply
about finding the best answers for questions people ask. If you can't
let go of your ego long enough to do that, perhaps you should not be
answering questions.

Pete
From: Tom Shelton on
It happens that Bill formulated :
> Hello
>
> I've got a C# console app, that calls a startup function in a C# dll that I
> have created. In my DLL, as I'm processing data, I want to display some
> logging information, but I want to pass it back to the console app, and have
> it write the text to the console as it comes from the DLL, but I'm not sure
> how I should do this....
>
> Any suggestions, example
>

> Thanks

I would look into Log4Net if I were you. It lets the application
control where log messages end up via the config file. You can also
have them go to multiple places and set different levels. It's an
excelent logging library, IMHO.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Mr. Arnold on
Tom Shelton wrote:
> It happens that Bill formulated :
>> Hello
>>
>> I've got a C# console app, that calls a startup function in a C# dll
>> that I have created. In my DLL, as I'm processing data, I want to
>> display some logging information, but I want to pass it back to the
>> console app, and have it write the text to the console as it comes
>> from the DLL, but I'm not sure how I should do this....
>>
>> Any suggestions, example
>>

>> Thanks
>
> I would look into Log4Net if I were you. It lets the application
> control where log messages end up via the config file. You can also
> have them go to multiple places and set different levels. It's an
> excelent logging library, IMHO.

Enterprise Library has a nice logging application.