From: Mike Jones on

Does anybody have a tweak to make the home and end keys work in a console?

I just get a ~ ATM.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Does anybody have a tweak to make the home and end keys work in a console?
>
> I just get a ~ ATM.

Sorry, I have no answer, I only noted the following on my Slackware 12.2
system with tcsh:

In xterm home and end works fine.

In text console home works fine but end gives ~.

ctrl-a and ctrl-e allways works as expected.

regards Henrik
hc123(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Henrik Carlqvist:

> Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> Does anybody have a tweak to make the home and end keys work in a
>> console?
>>
>> I just get a ~ ATM.
>
> Sorry, I have no answer, I only noted the following on my Slackware 12.2
> system with tcsh:
>
> In xterm home and end works fine.
>
> In text console home works fine but end gives ~.
>
> ctrl-a and ctrl-e allways works as expected.
>
> regards Henrik

Ahhh-HA!

This looks like an /RXVT/ thing!

Thanks for the clue. :)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Mike Jones:

> Responding to Henrik Carlqvist:
>
>> Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>> Does anybody have a tweak to make the home and end keys work in a
>>> console?
>>>
>>> I just get a ~ ATM.
>>
>> Sorry, I have no answer, I only noted the following on my Slackware
>> 12.2 system with tcsh:
>>
>> In xterm home and end works fine.
>>
>> In text console home works fine but end gives ~.
>>
>> ctrl-a and ctrl-e allways works as expected.
>>
>> regards Henrik
>

> Ahhh-HA!
>
> This looks like an /RXVT/ thing!
>
> Thanks for the clue. :)

More research shows an apparent lack of concern (or just attention) for
this by the RXVT developer team.

Not an impressive attitude.

Xterm it is then, but still the alt+? gets characters, not action.

Search a bit...

Here we go!

..Xdefaults gets

xterm*altSendsEscape: true

....and the alt-key is now a meta-key. Nano works again!

The nice thing about /finally/ having got around to looking at this
trivial matter, I don't need to install RXVT any more, and can stick to
the default Xterm. True, it uses more swap, but I've got gigabytes of it!

Thanks again for the clue.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.