From: Mirsky on
Hi. I own a Lexmark printer and today I was looking at Console app to
troubleshoot a problem. I found something that had nothing to do with
the problem but which made me curious: Every few seconds, the following
message shows up in Console:

7/10/10 12:16:41 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[147]
(com.lexmark.bmlaunchd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

The message keeps updating over and over. I have no idea what it means
and I'm wondering if it could be slowing down my computer.

Thanks,

From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <mirsky-775794.12194310072010(a)free.teranews.com>,
Mirsky <mirsky(a)mirsky.com> wrote:

> Hi. I own a Lexmark printer and today I was looking at Console app to
> troubleshoot a problem. I found something that had nothing to do with
> the problem but which made me curious: Every few seconds, the following
> message shows up in Console:
>
> 7/10/10 12:16:41 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[147]
> (com.lexmark.bmlaunchd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
>
> The message keeps updating over and over. I have no idea what it means
> and I'm wondering if it could be slowing down my computer.
>
> Thanks,

It probably means that the printer driver is constantly crashing and
relaunching.
From: Tom Harrington on
In article <4c38cc9c$0$22171$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote:

> In article <mirsky-775794.12194310072010(a)free.teranews.com>,
> Mirsky <mirsky(a)mirsky.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I own a Lexmark printer and today I was looking at Console app to
> > troubleshoot a problem. I found something that had nothing to do with
> > the problem but which made me curious: Every few seconds, the following
> > message shows up in Console:
> >
> > 7/10/10 12:16:41 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[147]
> > (com.lexmark.bmlaunchd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
> >
> > The message keeps updating over and over. I have no idea what it means
> > and I'm wondering if it could be slowing down my computer.
>
> It probably means that the printer driver is constantly crashing and
> relaunching.

Most likely-- launchd is saying that it's been needing to restart
"com.lexmark.bmlaunchd" way too often, which probably means crashes. If
you're concerned about it slowing down your computer, run Activity
Monitor and sort on the "% CPU" column. Anything using a lot of CPU
time will show up there.

It would probably be a good idea to go to Lexmark's web site for an
updated printer driver.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: JF Mezei on

>> > 7/10/10 12:16:41 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[147]
>> > (com.lexmark.bmlaunchd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Look for the plist editor application (Property List Editor). You can
then look at the com.lexmark.bmlaunchd.plist file in the
System/Library/LaunchDaemons directory/folder.

at terminal: man launchd.plist will give you a list/description of
those items.

Not sure if a orinter driver need to run constantly. Perhaps you want to
have it launch on demand, or at regular intervals. (ask around for that
specific printer what is needed). Perhaps the plist is coded wrong to
assume the printer drive needs to run constantly as a daemon when the
later is really designed to exit cleanly after a print job.