From: Dolphin on
Hi,

We have Websphere version 4 supported by SF6800 with Solaris 8. We
would like to explore Solaris 10 Brandz to run Websphere.

Queries:
1) Is it possible to create a Brandz container in Solaris10 to run the
above?
2) If possible, how difficult will it be?
3) What could be the risk involved?
4) Where can I get the information of how to go about it?

Thanks in advance.
From: ITguy on
> We have Websphere version 4 supported by SF6800 with Solaris 8. We
> would like to explore Solaris 10 Brandz to run Websphere.
>
> Queries:
> 1) Is it possible to create a Brandz container in Solaris10 to run the
> above?

I don't have direct experience with Websphere, but a Solaris 8
container looks like a full-blown instance of Solaris 8. Are you sure
you can't just run your version of Websphere in a native Solaris 10
zone? Solaris generally has outstanding backwards compatibility with
older software versions.

> 2) If possible, how difficult will it be?

The migration process is pretty simple. Make a ufsdump or flash
archive of the existing Solaris 8 system, install the Solaris8
container software on the Solaris 10 system, then configure/install a
Solaris8 branded zone from the ufsdump or flash archive.

> 3) What could be the risk involved?

Depends. Can you keep the existing Solaris 8 environment around in
case you run into an issue with the new zone? If you had any problems
with the new zone you could just boot the old Solaris 8 system. Since
the migration process is more or less a backup/restore procedure, you
should also have the ufsdump or flash archive to fall back on.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/1759.1