From: Ralph Böhme on
Kenny McCormack <gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com> schrieb:
> (Meta note: Please, no guff to the effect that I "should" have posted
> this in the other thread. I have my reasons for starting a new thread.)

> OK, so I found the GUI control panel for changing the network settings.
> Basically, it gives these options for configuring the device (en0):
> 1) Manual
> 2) DHCP
> 3) DHCP with manual address
> 4) BOOTP
> 5) Off

> Now, the problem is this: I am running a virtual machine, using VmWare
> Fusion, and I want the VM to connect to my cable modem. The point, of
> course, is that only one machine can be connected to the cable modem,
> and there is a race condition between the VM and the real machine to see
> who gets the attention of the cable modem. That is, who gets attention first.

> Unfortunately, lately, the Mac seems to be winning the race (before, it
> was working correctly -> the VM was winning). Nothing changed to cause
> this to change, but obviously something did (if you see what I mean...)

> Now, unfortunately, if I set the control panel setting to anything other
> than DHCP, then VmWare gets unhappy and decides that the ethernet device
> isn't running. You get a weird error message from VmWare about the
> bridged device not running. So, what I need (on the Mac side) is either:
> 1) To leave it as DHCP, but a way to temporarily disable the DHCP
> seeking behavior. And then to re-enable it later.
> I.e., I want the equivalent of doing "ipconfig /release" in
> Windows. And then, of course, "ipconfig /renew".
> Or:
> 2) A way to put it to, say, Manual, and then do the right commands
> from the shell prompt to make VmWare happy with the state of the
> device.

> Help (or pointer to URL) with 1) or 2) above would be greatly
> appreciated. Note that option 1) above is preferred.

Why not let the Mac have the real network interface and put the
VM in NAT mode?

-Ralph

--
s/-nsp// for mail
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <hgterj$vqk$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Ralph Böhme <ralph-nsp(a)rsrc.de> wrote:
>Why not let the Mac have the real network interface and put the
>VM in NAT mode?

Because.

The problem must be solved as stated.

A little bit of reading between the lines will allow the smart reader to
figure out what I'm actually doing, but it is not relevant to the problem.