From: brassplyer on
On Sep 5, 9:33 am, philo <ph...(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:

> > Would it be possible to copy the install cd onto the C: drive and have
> > it load from itself?
>
> after the initial setup, on the first reboot
> you need to ignore the message "to install from CD press any key"
>
> after a few seconds, the second part of the installation should take place.

What I've discovered is happening is on that second auto reboot (the
first time I wasn't actually watching the screen) it's giving the
"Press any key to boot from CD" - if I don't do anything it hangs and
then after a minute or two it adds an "Inval0d partition
table" (misspelling per the screen) message and splashes a few random
characters in the black screen below. And there it stays.

If as above instead of doing nothing I press some key immediately, it
simply loops back into the initial bluescreen setup process.

When I check the drive in another machine, it shows a folder "WINDOWS"
about 500 megs. This other machine is also the one I used to format
the drive from within XP if it makes a difference.

It would seem the "invalid partition table" message must mean
something. Perhaps a problem with the initial formatting?

> if your machine hangs, then check the bios to make sure that the HD is
> listed as the second boot device (right after CD rom which should be first)

Yes, that's how it's set up.
From: Don Phillipson on
"brassplyer" <brassplyer(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Sep 5, 9:33 am, philo <ph...(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:

> on that second auto reboot (the
> first time I wasn't actually watching the screen) it's giving the
> "Press any key to boot from CD" - if I don't do anything it hangs and
> then after a minute or two it adds an "Inval0d partition
> table" (misspelling per the screen) message and splashes a few random
> characters in the black screen below. And there it stays.

If you are sure the boot process is looking at the correct
drive (hard drive C:\) this indicates trouble with the drive
format. You should probably run the drive maker's diagnostics.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs