From: Julien Santini on
Hello,

I have a problem of terminology. What is meant by "starlike" in the
assertion: "every starlike metric space is contractible" ?

The definition given by the book is: "A metric space M with metric d is
starlike in that metric if there is a point p in M such that each other
point x in M can be joined to p by a unique arc congruent in the metric of M
to a line segment".

What is meant by "unique" ? What is meant by arc ? (traditionally an arc is
a continuous map defined on [0,1] right ?) And what about "congruent [...]
to a line segment ?"

I would appreciate if someone could translate this definition using a
mathematical formalism only.

Thank you

--
Julien Santini

From: Stuart M Newberger on

Julien Santini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem of terminology. What is meant by "starlike" in the
> assertion: "every starlike metric space is contractible" ?
>
> The definition given by the book is: "A metric space M with metric d
is
> starlike in that metric if there is a point p in M such that each
other
> point x in M can be joined to p by a unique arc congruent in the
metric of M
> to a line segment".
>
> What is meant by "unique" ? What is meant by arc ? (traditionally an
arc is
> a continuous map defined on [0,1] right ?) And what about "congruent
[...]
> to a line segment ?"
>
> I would appreciate if someone could translate this definition using a
> mathematical formalism only.
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Julien Santini

Here is my guess."Arc congruent in the metric M means an isometry from
[0,1] (usual metric) into M. So for each q in M there is a unique map
f=f_q :[0,1]->M
with f(0)=p and f(1)=q and d(f(x),f(y))=|x-y| for each x,y in [0,1].Try
the problem now. Regards,Stuart M Newberger

From: Timothy Little on
Julien Santini wrote:
> What is meant by "unique"?

There is only one object satisfying the properties. Formally, if we
let P(x) be a predicate corresponding to the properties, then
P(A) and P(B) => A = B.

> What is meant by arc ? (traditionally an arc is a continuous map
> defined on [0,1] right ?)

Almost: that's a path. An arc is more restricted: its function must
be bijective and continuous in both directions. In mathematical
formalism:

f:[0,1] -> S is an arc in M iff S is a subspace of M and f is
bijective, continuous, and has continuous inverse.

> And what about "congruent [...] to a line segment ?"

There exists an distance preserving bijection between an interval of R
(i.e. a line segment) and the arc. Formally:

A subspace S of M is congruent to a line segment iff there exists a,b
in R and f:[a,b] -> S such that f is bijective and for all x,y in [a,b],
d(f(x),f(y)) = |x-y|.

- Tim
From: Michael Barr on
"Julien Santini" <santini.julien(a)wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<421f8253$0$19361$8fcfb975(a)news.wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem of terminology. What is meant by "starlike" in the
> assertion: "every starlike metric space is contractible" ?
>
> The definition given by the book is: "A metric space M with metric d is
> starlike in that metric if there is a point p in M such that each other
> point x in M can be joined to p by a unique arc congruent in the metric of M
> to a line segment".
>
> What is meant by "unique" ? What is meant by arc ? (traditionally an arc is
> a continuous map defined on [0,1] right ?) And what about "congruent [...]
> to a line segment ?"
>
> I would appreciate if someone could translate this definition using a
> mathematical formalism only.
>
> Thank you

I will take a guess at this. Unique means unique (what else could it
mean). I take it that congruent means isometric. That is there is a
point * such that for each other point x, there is one and only one
map u_x: [0,1] --> X s.t. u(0) = *, u_x(1) = x and dist(u_x(s),u_x(t))
= |s-t| for any s,t in [0,1]. I guess this allows you to prove that
the function h: X x [0,1] --> X defined by h(x,t) = u_x(t) contracts X
to *.
From: Julien Santini on
> I will take a guess at this. Unique means unique (what else could it
> mean). I take it that congruent means isometric. That is there is a
> point * such that for each other point x, there is one and only one
> map u_x: [0,1] --> X s.t. u(0) = *, u_x(1) = x and dist(u_x(s),u_x(t))
> = |s-t| for any s,t in [0,1]. I guess this allows you to prove that
> the function h: X x [0,1] --> X defined by h(x,t) = u_x(t) contracts X
> to *.

That's what I had thought, but my problem is that although I can show h_x:
[0,1] -> X, h_x(t) = h(x,t) is continuous (using this definition of
starlike), I cannot show h_t: X->X, h_t(x) = h(x,t) is continuous. Working
in R^2 for instance, and considering an arc (*p), with a point x on this
arc, and a neighborhood U of x, why couldn't U intersect (no matter how
"small" U is) another arc at point y so that for some fixed t, and for some
fixed e>0, abs(h_t(y)-h_t(x))>e (i.e h_t is not continuous) ? That's what
bothers me.

--
Julien Santini