From: Tim Meddick on
RE: My earlier reply;

....And with "TweakUI.exe", not only can you make individual Control Panel items
disappear from view, you can re-program those buttons on the keyboard (as in the Vol
up / down / mute - to do nothing instead).

That would be done in the "Explorer" > "Command Keys" item in "TweakUI.exe".

See my earlier post for the download link.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: John John - MVP on
Buy earplugs and let the kids play.

From: Twayne on
In news:n8rtk51fetu8vep39sl34u074eiitve24j(a)4ax.com,
David <David> typed:
> I guess time a big issue is my time. I have been hoping for the
> simplest possible solution. It appears that may not be possible.

I think you are right.

> The speakers are integrated into the monitor. There are no physical
> speaker controls. Deep Freeze was suggested, but will not work as it
> only resets the settings upon a reboot. I found out to my surprise
> that there were volume controls on the key board which the kids found
> before I did. You apparently have experence with Steady State. If I
> install it, will it stop volume changes from the volume keys on the
> keyboard?

I don't recall; sorry.

> It appears that physicaly removing the audio cable between the PC and
> the monitor may be the best and only possible solution.

If the speakers aren 't really needed, then that should work fine and would
be reasonably easy to reverse if they were needed for awhile. To get the
System Sounds coming through the computer's internal speaker (tada, beep,
boop, etc) again, it might be necessary to also uninstall the sound card
drivers or at least disable them in System Properties; their presence likely
turned off the system sounds to the internal speaker. IF you care, that is.

Hmm, or just uninstall the sound card? That's turn the system speakers back
on and as long as the installer CD software wasn't available, they couldn't
put the sound card back. Hardware won't run without drivers & support
software.

I have
> learned the hard way that it is impossible to make any physical
> control completely out of reach of the kids. You would be supprised
> how inventive and intelligent 5 year olds are today. Certainly more
> than I expected.

Yeah, and they have the luck of the young with them too it seems! BTDT<G>!

HTH,

Twayne

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <Oc$k6IjlKHA.5608(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Twayne
<nobody(a)spamcop.net> writes:

>In news:n8rtk51fetu8vep39sl34u074eiitve24j(a)4ax.com,
>David <David> typed:
[]
>> It appears that physicaly removing the audio cable between the PC and
>> the monitor may be the best and only possible solution.
>
>If the speakers aren 't really needed, then that should work fine and
>would be reasonably easy to reverse if they were needed for awhile. To
>get the System Sounds coming through the computer's internal speaker
>(tada, beep, boop, etc) again, it might be necessary to also uninstall
>the sound card drivers or at least disable them in System Properties;
>their presence likely turned off the system sounds to the internal
>speaker. IF you care, that is.
[]
The startup beep (at turnon), and a few others (such as the "I'm too
hot" motherboard alarm, if it has one, or other very low-level
diagnostics), come through an internal speaker (or in some cases buzzer
on the mobo itself), driven by a logic output. The .wav sounds that are
part of Windows, such as tada, will only come through an internal
speaker if the sound card is wired up that way: if it is, it's probably
to a separate (though still internal) speaker. Only some PCs are
supplied this way (i. e. such that if you unplug speakers, sound comes
from an internal one).

[There were some drivers in the early days that made true .wav sounds
come out of the internal logic-only speaker, but I think they were DOS
only - certainly nothing later than Windows 3.x; they were designed for
people who had no sound card (or sound chips) at all, and the quality
was such that it was more it's-amazing-it-works-at-all rather than much
cop.]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

Hit any user to continue.
From: thanatoid on
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG(a)soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote in

<SNIP>

> more it's-amazing-it-works-at-all rather than much cop.

"Much cop"... Is this a Brit expression I am unfamiliar with?
Please clarify.

--
There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
and those that will break later.