From: BlackTopBum on
Since Ubuntu Edgy came out /etc/inittab has been done away with. I only
need, at most, 2 getty but now there are 6 available - all using
processes. So, I edited /etc/default/console-setup" and changed the
line

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

to read

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-2]"

Next, I moved /etc/event.d/tty3-6 into /etc/event.d/backup and rebooted
expecting two getty - there are six still.

Anybody knowing how to trim these down in the new system control please
reply with an Howto.

Thanks,
--
BlackTopBum
Support your local tyranny ...
From: Robert Newson on
BlackTopBum wrote:

> Since Ubuntu Edgy came out /etc/inittab has been done away with. I only
> need, at most, 2 getty but now there are 6 available - all using
> processes.

Are you really using that /number/ of processes[1] that you can't have 4
sitting there asleep, using no processor slices, awaiting input?

[1] When I last tested, the maxium process number was 32767[2]
[2] Before the system loops and starts using the numbers again, starting
with the lowest free, and then the next free and so on.

From: BlackTopBum on
Robert Newson was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

> Are you really using that /number/ of processes[1] that you can't have 4
> sitting there asleep, using no processor slices, awaiting input?

It's not that their sleeping that I dislike nor is it that this machine
can't handle the extra "load". It's that I dislike waste and prefer a
system using only what is *needed* - these 4 getty are unneeded and I want
them trimmed. You don't know the answer though, do you?
--
BlackTopBum
Support your local tyranny ...
From: Robert Newson on
BlackTopBum wrote:

> Robert Newson was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...
>

>>Are you really using that /number/ of processes[1] that you can't have 4
>>sitting there asleep, using no processor slices, awaiting input?
>>

> It's not that their sleeping that I dislike nor is it that this machine
> can't handle the extra "load". It's that I dislike waste and prefer a
> system using only what is *needed* - these 4 getty are unneeded and I want
> them trimmed. You don't know the answer though, do you?

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2006/11/10/edgy-sans-inittab/

``...For the time being, just remember: The tty setup is now in
/etc/event.d, and each tty has its own separate file. If you're inserting an
autologin script, you'll need to tamper with that file accordingly. All
right, all right, I'll just tell you what to put in there.

Assuming you've compiled the autologin executable and put it into your
/usr/local/sbin/ folder, this is what should go into your /etc/event.d/tty1
file.

# tty1 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty1 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on runlevel-2
start on runlevel-3
start on runlevel-4
start on runlevel-5

stop on shutdown

respawn /sbin/getty -n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin 38400 tty1''

Do you still have the tty entries in /etc/event.d

[I haven't got/used it, just making a guess based on a quick google.]

From: BlackTopBum on
BlackTopBum was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

>You don't know the answer though, do you?

Hey, I forgot to put a " ;) " on this sentence - it was meant to be a bit
of humor - sorry I forgot to include it

Robert Newson was all like, you know, and then said something like a ...

> Do you still have the tty entries in /etc/event.d
>
> [I haven't got/used it, just making a guess based on a quick google.]

Thanks for the replies and using your time to help me.

I had read and followed that page already. As I mentioned in my OP, I
edited a file and moved the extra (unneeded tty) to a different folder,
but it didn't work for me. Although, I don't have, nor plan to add, the
autologin feature of which that web site mentioned. Still, I fail to see
how that feature affects having fewer tty.
--
BlackTopBum
Support your local tyranny ...