From: FabX on
Hi all,
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on my PC where I have:
- boot CD is slave on primary IDE
- HDD (where I like to have Ubuntu) is master on secondary IDE

Installation or Live Boot CD freezes at the beginning of the start
(I see the progress bar blocked).

I tried to have HDD as master on primary IDE and all worked good...
but this was only a test. I need to have Ubuntu on secondary IDE.

Is a Ubuntu bug?
Is there any solution?

From: J.O. Aho on
FabX wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on my PC where I have:
> - boot CD is slave on primary IDE
> - HDD (where I like to have Ubuntu) is master on secondary IDE
>
> Installation or Live Boot CD freezes at the beginning of the start
> (I see the progress bar blocked).
>

> I tried to have HDD as master on primary IDE and all worked good...
> but this was only a test. I need to have Ubuntu on secondary IDE.
>

> Is a Ubuntu bug?
> Is there any solution?

Install ubuntu while the hard drive is master on the primary ide port, and
then move it to the secondary place. Not sure if ubuntu handles the move as
nicely as RedHat based distros, you can take a look at the /etc/fstab

if you have

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto 0 0

then change all the hda to hdc

if you have

LABLE=/boot /boot ext2 noauto 0 0

then it's safe to move as long as you don't have another Linux distro on the
hard drive you want to have as primary master.
When you moved the hard drive you have three options

- when booting Linux you need to go into BIOS and switch from which
harddrive to boot from

- Use the CD and install grub/lilo to the primary masters mbr.

- use a boot floppy, if you have a floppy drive.

--

//Aho
From: FabX on

J.O. Aho ha scritto:

> FabX wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on my PC where I have:
> > - boot CD is slave on primary IDE
> > - HDD (where I like to have Ubuntu) is master on secondary IDE
> >
> > Installation or Live Boot CD freezes at the beginning of the start
> > (I see the progress bar blocked).
> >

> > I tried to have HDD as master on primary IDE and all worked good...
> > but this was only a test. I need to have Ubuntu on secondary IDE.
> >

> > Is a Ubuntu bug?
> > Is there any solution?
> >
> Install ubuntu while the hard drive is master on the primary ide port, and
> then move it to the secondary place. Not sure if ubuntu handles the move as
> nicely as RedHat based distros, you can take a look at the /etc/fstab
>
> if you have
>
> /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto 0 0
>
> then change all the hda to hdc
>
> if you have
>
> LABLE=/boot /boot ext2 noauto 0 0
>
> then it's safe to move as long as you don't have another Linux distro on the
> hard drive you want to have as primary master.
> When you moved the hard drive you have three options
>
> - when booting Linux you need to go into BIOS and switch from which
> harddrive to boot from
>
> - Use the CD and install grub/lilo to the primary masters mbr.
>
> - use a boot floppy, if you have a floppy drive.
>
> --
>
> //Aho

Hi Aho,
thanks. Unfortunately I can't make hdd primary master because primary
IDE on my hardware board (MiniITX i855GME from Advantech) is for 5.25''
HDD and I've to use a 3.5'' HDD on my hardware.
I'm using CDROM as primary or slave on primary IDE and HDD as master of
secondary channel with FC6 and all works good. Now I've to try Ubuntu.
I installed it on another 5.25'' HDD as master on primary IDE. Then I
cloned the disk but Ubuntu doesn't starts.
Both during installation or boot after cloning, Ubuntu stops during
"Running scripts casper -premount".

From: ac on
FabX wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on my PC where I have:
> - boot CD is slave on primary IDE
> - HDD (where I like to have Ubuntu) is master on secondary IDE
>
> Installation or

ok

> Live Boot CD freezes at the beginning of the start
> (I see the progress bar blocked).

live cd freezes - noted

> I tried to have HDD as master on primary IDE and all worked good...

was this a ubuntu install, and from the exact same CD?

> but this was only a test. I need to have Ubuntu on secondary IDE.
>

> Is a Ubuntu bug?
> Is there any solution?

do you have a HD as master on primary IDE when you are using the
HDD (to have Ubuntu) on master on secondary IDE
--
ac
From: FabX on

ac ha scritto:

> was this a ubuntu install, and from the exact same CD?

Yes.

> do you have a HD as master on primary IDE when you are using the
> HDD (to have Ubuntu) on master on secondary IDE

No. I have:
- CDROM as primary master (or the same primary slave)
- 3.5'' HDD as secondary master

This configuration works good with Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6... I
haven't tried other distributions.