From: J.O. Aho on
FabX wrote:
> J.O. Aho ha scritto:

>> Install ubuntu while the hard drive is master on the primary ide port, and
>> then move it to the secondary place.
> thanks. Unfortunately I can't make hdd primary master because primary
> IDE on my hardware board (MiniITX i855GME from Advantech) is for 5.25''
> HDD and I've to use a 3.5'' HDD on my hardware.

Wow, it's a long time since I had a 5.25" hard drive (in the 80's). The
connectors are the same on both, the only difference is that the 3.5" is
smaller, but that can be fixed with different 3.5->5.25 brackets, all my hard
drives (3.5") are connected on 5.25" places.

If you mixed up the sizes and mean you have a 3.5" hard drive that you need to
connect to a 2.5" IDE connector (those differ, as the 2.5" has 4 extra pins
for power), there are adapters for 3.5->2.5, if you can't find any you can
take a look at www.ggsdata.se

> I'm using CDROM as primary or slave on primary IDE and HDD as master of
> secondary channel with FC6 and all works good. Now I've to try Ubuntu.
> I installed it on another 5.25'' HDD as master on primary IDE. Then I
> cloned the disk but Ubuntu doesn't starts.
> Both during installation or boot after cloning, Ubuntu stops during
> "Running scripts casper -premount".

You have both FC and Ubuntu at the same time installed on the machine?
This can lead to troubles if they both uses LABEL (FC does), having two slices
named the same will lead to confusion.

--

//Aho
From: FabX on

J.O. Aho ha scritto:

> FabX wrote:
> > J.O. Aho ha scritto:
>
> >> Install ubuntu while the hard drive is master on the primary ide port, and
> >> then move it to the secondary place.
> > thanks. Unfortunately I can't make hdd primary master because primary
> > IDE on my hardware board (MiniITX i855GME from Advantech) is for 5.25''
> > HDD and I've to use a 3.5'' HDD on my hardware.
>
> Wow, it's a long time since I had a 5.25" hard drive (in the 80's). The
> connectors are the same on both, the only difference is that the 3.5" is
> smaller, but that can be fixed with different 3.5->5.25 brackets, all my hard
> drives (3.5") are connected on 5.25" places.
>
> If you mixed up the sizes and mean you have a 3.5" hard drive that you need to
> connect to a 2.5" IDE connector (those differ, as the 2.5" has 4 extra pins
> for power), there are adapters for 3.5->2.5, if you can't find any you can
> take a look at www.ggsdata.se
>

> > I'm using CDROM as primary or slave on primary IDE and HDD as master of
> > secondary channel with FC6 and all works good. Now I've to try Ubuntu.
> > I installed it on another 5.25'' HDD as master on primary IDE. Then I
> > cloned the disk but Ubuntu doesn't starts.
> > Both during installation or boot after cloning, Ubuntu stops during
> > "Running scripts casper -premount".
> >

> You have both FC and Ubuntu at the same time installed on the machine?
> This can lead to troubles if they both uses LABEL (FC does), having two slices
> named the same will lead to confusion.
>

> --
>
> //Aho

Oooops... Sorry! I meant hdd 3.5'' and 2.5'' :)

Now I'm using a different HD for Ubuntu, free and without partitions.
The problem is that Ubuntu Live CD should starts before doing
installation...and when it's started up then you can choose to install
it. I'm not able to have ubuntu desktop because live cd freezes during
boot.
I tried to install ubuntu on 3.5'' hd as primary master (so 1 hdd as
primary master and 1 cdrom as primary slave and no devices on secondary
ide) and all worked good. Then I cloned the 3.5'' to 2.5'' and mounted
it as master on secondary. Ubuntu boot process freezes like as live cd
during "Running scripts casper -premount".

From: J.O. Aho on
FabX wrote:

> Now I'm using a different HD for Ubuntu, free and without partitions.
> The problem is that Ubuntu Live CD should starts before doing
> installation.

Yes, of course.

> ..and when it's started up then you can choose to install
> it. I'm not able to have ubuntu desktop because live cd freezes during
> boot.

What if you have a primary-master HD connected while you install ubuntu on the
secondary-master ?

> I tried to install ubuntu on 3.5'' hd as primary master (so 1 hdd as
> primary master and 1 cdrom as primary slave and no devices on secondary
> ide) and all worked good. Then I cloned the 3.5'' to 2.5'' and mounted
> it as master on secondary. Ubuntu boot process freezes like as live cd
> during "Running scripts casper -premount".

Could be that it has trouble with your IDE, are they both 2.5" connectors
(primary and secondary IDE)?

--

//Aho
From: trryhend on

FabX wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on my PC where I have:
> - boot CD is slave on primary IDE
> - HDD (where I like to have Ubuntu) is master on secondary IDE
>
> Installation or Live Boot CD freezes at the beginning of the start
> (I see the progress bar blocked).
>

> I tried to have HDD as master on primary IDE and all worked good...
> but this was only a test. I need to have Ubuntu on secondary IDE.
>

> Is a Ubuntu bug?
> Is there any solution?

We need to use conventional language so that all can understand.
e.g.

primary on IDE-1 (The IDE device connected to the first IDE port that
is jumpered as "Master")
slave on IDE-1 (The IDE device connected to the first IDE port that
is jumpered as "Slave")

primary on IDE-2 (The IDE device connected to the second IDE port that
is jumpered as "Master")
slave on IDE-2 (The IDE device connected to the second IDE port that
is jumpered as "Slave")
etc.

or something like this:

primary HDD on IDE-1 (The IDE hard drive connected to the first IDE
port that is jumpered as "Master")
slave CDROM on IDE-1 (The IDE CDROM connected to the first IDE port
that is jumpered as "Slave")

primary CDROM on IDE-2 (The IDE CDROM connected to the second IDE port
that is jumpered as "Master")
slave HDD on IDE-2 (The IDE hard drive connected to the second IDE

From: imotgm on
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:51:52 -0800, trryhend wrote:

> FabX wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.10 on my PC where I have:
>> - boot CD is slave on primary IDE
>> - HDD (where I like to have Ubuntu) is master on secondary IDE
>>
>> Installation or Live Boot CD freezes at the beginning of the start
>> (I see the progress bar blocked).
>>

>> I tried to have HDD as master on primary IDE and all worked good...
>> but this was only a test. I need to have Ubuntu on secondary IDE.
>>

>> Is a Ubuntu bug?
>> Is there any solution?
>
> We need to use conventional language so that all can understand.
> e.g.

<snip junk>

OP's description using the terms "master", "slave" "primary IDE" and
"secondary IDE" are conventional language and completely understandable to
everyone else in the thread, if not you.

--
imotgm
"Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a