From: alhotch on
I saw a post that showed how to convert from a number value to a string
value. But how about the other way ? Convert a string value to a number value.

Example, fieldA contains the text value "YES". fieldB is to contain the
numberic value of "1". How would one create a query that would accomplish
this task ?

"YES" would put the number one (1) in fieldB and "NO" would put the value of
two (2) in fieldB.
From: alhotch on
Check that. I figured it out.

IIF[fieldA]="YES","1", IIF[fieldB]="NO","2",Null

This places the number one (1) in the "appended" field YesNo or the number
two (2) in the same field, depending on the values of fieldA or fieldB.

From: Jeff Boyce on
As written, your IFF() statement checks two different fields for values, not
one.

And by the way, if you already have a "YES", why do you (also) need a "1"?
You wouldn't need to store that "calculated value", you could just use a
(corrected) IIF() expression to calculate a "1" or a "2" on the fly...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: John Spencer on
Do you want a number or a text string that consists of numbers?
IIF(FieldA="Yes",1,IIF(FieldA="No",2,Null))

As noted elsewhere, your expression does something different than the text
description you posted.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute