From: razor on
Hello Richard

Yes, it was supposed to be 4am, sorry. Just got up anyway and it
appears there has not been a problem as my beauty sleep was not
disturbed.

Of course I am not sending any emails 'manually'. COBOL does it in a
loop for each store. The point about the time was, not that I had 200
to do but I didn't yet have the programs installed, orders processed
and subsequently emailed from the server.

I don't run it from a cron job (or equivalent). Users process the
'Process EDI Orders' option when they appear, fix any problems and
then the system emails to locations there and then. Takes about 3
minutes to email I'd estimate.

I've read you (and others) talk about templates before but I've never
made the link on how to use them.

I'm not stupid, but if I've never done something I just don't know
anything about it.

Many thanks for your help Richard, it is appreciated.

Razor

From: razor on
Hi Singa

Thanks for your suggestion.

I would love to process all of our print files into PDF (who doesn't
these days) but unfortunately the client is still in 1976. Their idea
of 'making things better' is spending millions of £ on a huge very
very well known all encompassing system that was supposed to replace
my invoicing system.

Twice its failed spectacularly because they opt to try and change
their business at the same time as migrating to this new system.

(Going slightly OT now, but maybe some will find interesting)

I sat in a meeting with 5 'company' people and 5 'consultants'
discussing the new pricing rules that would be implemented. The
business proceeded to explain how they currently generate customer
prices in the existing (mine) system. All attempts to demonstrate the
actual process to all simply fell on deaf ears and this was not
because of my own personal skills, they just didn't want to listen.
The consultants had to listen to the business people and implement
what they were telling them. When the trial came around sure enough,
most of the prices were incorrect. I wasn't involved in the trial
because I didn't charge a four figure sum as my daily rate, plus also,
I could be besmirched for 'protecting' the existing system without my
knowledge. I'm a professional and would never have done that.

As I have a family and house to support I shall continue to roll along
with the status quo, although I would relish a new challenge. Now
wheres those golf clubs?

Razor

From: Alistair on
On Dec 31, 12:46 pm, razor <irudd...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Singa
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I would love to process all of our print files into PDF (who doesn't
> these days) but unfortunately the client is still in 1976. Their idea
> of 'making things better' is spending millions of £ on a huge very
> very well known all encompassing system that was supposed to replace
> my invoicing system.
>
> Twice its failed spectacularly because they opt to try and change
> their business at the same time as migrating to this new system.
>
> (Going slightly OT now, but maybe some will find interesting)
>
> I sat in a meeting with 5 'company' people and 5 'consultants'
> discussing the new pricing rules that would be implemented. The
> business proceeded to explain how they currently generate customer
> prices in the existing (mine) system. All attempts to demonstrate the
> actual process to all simply fell on deaf ears and this was not
> because of my own personal skills, they just didn't want to listen.
> The consultants had to listen to the business people and implement
> what they were telling them. When the trial came around sure enough,
> most of the prices were incorrect. I wasn't involved in the trial
> because I didn't charge a four figure sum as my daily rate, plus also,
> I could be besmirched for 'protecting' the existing system without my
> knowledge. I'm a professional and would never have done that.
>
> As I have a family and house to support I shall continue to roll along
> with the status quo, although I would relish a new challenge. Now
> wheres those golf clubs?
>
> Razor

I'm glad you found the page break after to resolve your problem. It
saves me looking up some old code and telling you it.

If you really want a challenge [ ;-P ], try convincing Pete
Dashwood that Cobol is not dead and that both India and China are
training university graduates to code in Cobol.
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:52:58 -0800 (PST), razor
<iruddock(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>'I' don't want to send it via HTML. I was told in the past. Yes we
>tried sending text, but the users found it too complicated (I was
>told).

Weird. Text is "too complicated" and HTML isn't? In e-mails?

I know some e-mail programs give us options of sending e-mail in plain
text or HTML, and others just send whatever we send.

I wonder what they do with printed text. Discard it as being too
complicated, I suppose.

- James Madison
From: razor on
Do you think I'm that stupid? I've been following those musings on
here for a while now, but I'm not sticking my neck out. I'll just
watch and see what happens. Lots of people on here have acid spittle,
and I don't want any. :-)

Happy new year to all.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5