From: undisclosed on

Good day,

I'm in the Point of Sale field. I have well over 200 pos terminals
with 2000 pro on them. I'm told that when MS stops updating it, that
they all will not be PCI Compliant and they must be upgraded. Some have
2000 pro product keys and others don't. I took over this area from an
out of business dealer.

Any ideas as to the best, fastest and most affordable way to accomplish
this?

Any help will be appreciated.

ecpos

--
ecpos
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 28, 9:18 pm, "Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]" <.@.> wrote:
> >Good day,
>
> >I'm in the Point of Sale field.  I have well over 200 pos terminals
> >with 2000 pro on them.  I'm told that when MS stops updating it, that
> >they all will not be PCI Compliant and they must be upgraded.  Some have
> >2000 pro product keys and others don't.  I took over this area from an
> >out of business dealer.
>
> >Any ideas as to the best, fastest and most affordable way to accomplish
> >this?
>
> >Any help will be appreciated.
>
> >ecpos
>
> PCI Compliant? Hardly. Too bad that Windows XP has now gone to
> Extended Support Agreement. You'll get patches for it until 2014 but
> that's it. If you ABSOLUTELY have to move to XP, you *might* be able
> to get a site license agreement with MS. Otherwise, you option are
> kind of limited this late in the game.
>
> - Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Site license might need to be multiple site license. I have never
really found a single "big box store" that would have 200 Point Of
Sale (POS) cash systems.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Now you know why the other dealer went out of business: His customers were
too cheap to invest in regular hardware upgrades.

Tip: Start looking for another job, quick!

From: Peter Foldes on
You are in a mess. Cannot be done when some have keys and some not. You need the
installs to be uniform with the matching license
What is possible with GPO is to remove all the W2K installs and then use the GPO to
install your XP across the network

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: undisclosed on

Thanks for the "tip" PA Bear. Also forgot to mention that all these
computers are in 65-70 restaurants ranging from 2 terminals to 27
terminals.

Is there an open ended xp product that I can buy to go in and manually
install on all these computers? I know POS but the upper end OS stuff
I'm not.

Thanks again

ecpos

--