From: Kaspir Ghost on
I'm pretty new to ruby, and I've been grasping everything that I've read
pretty well. Now I want to convert my website to ruby (not rails yet) so
I can use ruby to create forms with the cgi library. My web hosting
doesn't allow ruby to run with any other markup or scripting, so when I
turn ruby on I need to have my site already coded in ruby and ready to
go.

Considering that I'm new at this, I'm kind of lost. Yes I have searched
google, and the forums already. There's information but it's
overwhelming because it's so much new information. What I really want is
just some guided direction. I'm not asking for people to write tutorials
for me or anything, although I wouldn't mind some links to good
tutorials for this purpose specifically. I just want some quick
information like, what exactly should I study.

Also, I use HTML5 and CSS 3. I noticed that with cgi you cannot use
HTML5. Does that mean you can't use HTML5 in any ruby code? What about
CSS 3?

Thanks in advance

From: Roger Pack on
Kaspir Ghost wrote:
> I'm pretty new to ruby, and I've been grasping everything that I've read
> pretty well. Now I want to convert my website to ruby (not rails yet) so
> I can use ruby to create forms with the cgi library. My web hosting
> doesn't allow ruby to run with any other markup or scripting, so when I
> turn ruby on I need to have my site already coded in ruby and ready to
> go.

Maybe use ruby CGI?

http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/cgi/rdoc/index.html

From: Hassan Schroeder on
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Kaspir Ghost <trevor(a)nugendesign.com> wrote:
> Now I want to convert my website to ruby (not rails yet) so
> I can use ruby to create forms with the cgi library.

CGI? Archaic and pointless, IMO -- if not Rails, there are other light
weight "frameworks" like Sinatra, Camping, Merb, etc. that you could
use instead.

> My web hosting
> doesn't allow ruby to run with any other markup or scripting

That makes virtually no sense at all, but whatever...

> Considering that I'm new at this, I'm kind of lost. Yes I have searched
> google, and the forums already. There's information but it's
> overwhelming because it's so much new information.

Yep. Dive in and write a 'hello world' then, in CGI, Sinatra or whatever
you choose.

> Also, I use HTML5 and CSS 3. I noticed that with cgi you cannot use
> HTML5.

Where in the world would you get such an idea?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder(a)gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

From: Kaspir Ghost on
IMO instead of CGI? I'll look into those other frameworks too thanks.

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>That makes virtually no sense at all, but whatever...

When I enable ruby on my hosting account, it ONLY works for ruby. It
won't display html.

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Yep. Dive in and write a 'hello world' then, in CGI, Sinatra or whatever
> you choose.

I will do just that. I planned on it, I just wasn't sure if I was
heading in the right direction.

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Where in the world would you get such an idea?

Because it's lighter, has more features, and is the latest in stylesheet
and mark up...

From: Hassan Schroeder on
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Kaspir Ghost <trevor(a)nugendesign.com> wrote:
> IMO instead of CGI? I'll look into those other frameworks too thanks.

IMO = "In My Opinion"

But I'd suggest you use anything but CGI.

> Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>>That makes virtually no sense at all, but whatever...
>
> When I enable ruby on my hosting account, it ONLY works for ruby. It
> won't display html.

That's ridiculous. Find a real hosting company.

>> Where in the world would you get such an idea?
>
> Because it's lighter, has more features, and is the latest in stylesheet
> and mark up...

I meant, where in the world would you get the idea that "with cgi you
cannot use HTML5."