From: John Reiser on
> I'd like to convert my ext3 filesystem to ext4 ...

Borrow or buy an external USB2.0 harddrive that is big enough.
Create an ext4 partition on the external drive, transfer from the
existing ext3 to the new ext4, then see what you have. If you
like it, then delete the old internal ext3, create a new ext4
in its place, and transfer from the external to the internal ext4.
This way you have a backup [have you *ever* done one before?]

If you cannot afford to buy or borrow such an "extra" drive,
then you certainly cannot afford to scribble all your data.
Asking questions like you did strongly suggests a non-ignorable
probability that you *WILL* scribble *ALL* your data.

From: mjt on
On 03 Jul 2010 08:12:35 GMT
HamRadio <toglimi.hamradio(a)toglimi.quipo.it> wrote:

> I'd like to convert my ext3 filesystem to ext4

For what reason(s)? What is it you need from
ext4 that ext3 is not offering?

--
The longer I am out of office, the more infallible I appear to myself.
- Henry Kissinger

From: HamRadio on
Il Sat, 03 Jul 2010 09:41:32 -0500, mjt ha scritto:

> For what reason(s)? What is it you need from ext4 that ext3 is not
> offering?

Because fsck on the 1,5TB raid1 array of my NAS takes more than one hour
and half.
Being a small NAS which doesn't have a monitor you can't say if its
fscking or something bad has happened.
When it's time to fsck on my desktop which already has ext4 it takes just
some *seconds* on its 250 GB raid1 array mounted at /home.
If you are interested in knowing how many advantages ext4 can offer then
read:
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto
http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

However my question was specific to particular aspects of the conversion
of an ext3 filesystem to ext4, *not* about which one is better...

--
toglimi.hamradio(a)toglimi.quipo.it
ANTI-SPAM: please cut "toglimi." for my real e-mail address.
From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <17qdnZ7dk6QP3LLR4p2dnAA(a)giganews.com>,
John Reiser <jreiserfl(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>If you cannot afford to buy or borrow such an "extra" drive,
>then you certainly cannot afford to scribble all your data.
>Asking questions like you did strongly suggests a non-ignorable
>probability that you *WILL* scribble *ALL* your data.

It is attitudes and posts like this that show why MS is beating Linux in
most markets. NTFS comes with a simple utility that works that converts
FAT to NTFS (in place). Linux would do well to emulate that.

--
> No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
> why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.

CLC in a nutshell.

From: HamRadio on
Il Sat, 03 Jul 2010 06:56:17 -0700, John Reiser ha scritto:

> Asking questions like
> you did strongly suggests a non-ignorable probability that you *WILL*
> scribble *ALL* your data.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, but my questions regarding that
specific topic, that is the conversion of an ext3 filesystem to ext4,
remain unanswered...