From: Amin on
Hello Helmut,

Thanks for your response.

It doesn't really matter which logic to use I still need the CODE to do it,
I have an item list with more than 1000 items.

Any ideas about the code?

Thanks again,

From: Amin on
Hi HTH,

Sounds nice but how would I apply to all the items in the list I have? :)

Thanks,

From: Helmut Meukel on
Amin,

try this:

Function EncodeCosts(ByVal Costs As Currency) As String
Dim strCosts As String, strTmp As String
Dim l As Integer, i As Integer
Dim vArr As Variant

vArr = Array("Z", "O", "T", "R", "F", "V", "X", "S", "E", "N")

strCosts = Trim(CStr(Costs))
l = Len(strCosts)
EncodeCosts = Space(l)
For i = 1 To l
strTmp = Mid(strCosts, i, 1)
If strTmp = "." Or strTmp = "," Then
Mid(EncodeCosts, i, 1) = "."
Else
Mid(EncodeCosts, i, 1) = vArr(Val(strTmp))
End If
Next i
End Function

The above works regardless of the locale. Because CStr is localized,
it returns a string containing the local decimal sign. The code always
returns a string with a dot, but you can easily replace it with any other
sign or character. If you remove the line
Mid(EncodeCosts, i, 1) = "."
you'll get a space instead of the decimal point.

From: Rick Rothstein on
You need to change the data type for your Costs argument to String... if you
leave it as a numeric data type, trailing zeroes will be lost after the
decimal point.

With that said, here is your another (slightly shorter) approach to do what
your code does...

Function EncodeCosts(Costs As Currency) As String
Dim X As Long
EncodeCosts = CStr(Costs)
For X = 1 To Len(EncodeCosts)
If Mid(EncodeCosts, X, 1) <> "." Then Mid(EncodeCosts, X, 1) = _
Mid("ZOTRFVXSEN", Mid(EncodeCosts, X, 1) + 1, 1)
Next
End Function

We can reduce the amount of code a little bit more if we remove the decimal
point from the encoded number, displaying nothing in its place (as I
suggested as a possible encoding method in my prior response in this
thread)...

Function EncodeCosts(Costs As String) As String
Dim X As Long
EncodeCosts = Replace(CStr(Costs), ".", "")
For X = 1 To Len(EncodeCosts)
Mid(EncodeCosts, X) = Mid("ZOTRFVXSEN", Mid(EncodeCosts, X, 1) + 1, 1)
Next
End Function

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message
> Amin,
>
> try this:
>
> Function EncodeCosts(ByVal Costs As Currency) As String
> Dim strCosts As String, strTmp As String
> Dim l As Integer, i As Integer
> Dim vArr As Variant
>
> vArr = Array("Z", "O", "T", "R", "F", "V", "X", "S", "E", "N")
>
> strCosts = Trim(CStr(Costs))
> l = Len(strCosts)
> EncodeCosts = Space(l)
> For i = 1 To l
> strTmp = Mid(strCosts, i, 1)
> If strTmp = "." Or strTmp = "," Then
> Mid(EncodeCosts, i, 1) = "."
> Else
> Mid(EncodeCosts, i, 1) = vArr(Val(strTmp))
> End If
> Next i
> End Function
>
> The above works regardless of the locale. Because CStr is localized,
> it returns a string containing the local decimal sign. The code always
> returns a string with a dot, but you can easily replace it with any other
> sign or character. If you remove the line
> Mid(EncodeCosts, i, 1) = "."
> you'll get a space instead of the decimal point.
>
> Helmut.
>

> "Amin" <Amin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hello Helmut,
>>
>> Thanks for your response.
>>
>> It doesn't really matter which logic to use I still need the CODE to do
>> it,
>> I have an item list with more than 1000 items.
>>
>> Any ideas about the code?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>

>> "Helmut Meukel" wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm,
>>>
>>> one problem with encoding is to obscure the value, so guessing
>>> the real value isn't easy and nonetheless make it siple for YOU
>>> to read the real value. Just using A to I for 1 to 9 makes decoding
>>> for others easier than necessary.
>>> How about using
>>> 0 = Z(ero)
>>> 1 = O(ne)
>>> 2 = T(wo)
>>> 3 = (th)R(ee)
>>> 4 = F(our)
>>> 5 = (fi)V(e)
>>> 6 = (si)X
>>> 7 = S(even)
>>> 8 = E(ight)

From: Helmut Meukel on
Rick,

you are right about trailing zeroes, I should have used
EncodeCosts = Format(Costs, "0.00")
instead of CStr(Costs), but your solution won't work on my
system or on others in countries with a decimal comma without
changing the code.
I admit your code is shorter. From his questions I guessed Amin
isn't an experienced programmer and I think my code is easier
to understand and to adjust to his needs.
By changing one character in my code the value 832.25
would produce
ERT-TV or ERT*TV or ERT TV instead of ERT.TV
Personally I like the "*" best.

Helmut.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4