From: Amin on
Hello Experts,

At my shop I'm printing product labels from an Excel sheet.

I'd like to add the cost field to the label but the problem everybody would
be able to know my cost for an item unless I encode it, so I thought of
converting numbers to characters for example:

0 = Z
1 = A
2 = B
3 = C
4 = D

So, if the cost of an Item is 322.04 the field would show CBB.ZD

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
From: Helmut Meukel on
Hmm,

one problem with encoding is to obscure the value, so guessing
the real value isn't easy and nonetheless make it siple for YOU
to read the real value. Just using A to I for 1 to 9 makes decoding
for others easier than necessary.
How about using
0 = Z(ero)
1 = O(ne)
2 = T(wo)
3 = (th)R(ee)
4 = F(our)
5 = (fi)V(e)
6 = (si)X
7 = S(even)
8 = E(ight)
9 = N(ine)
I would probably leave one number as a number (3) and use
A for 8.
e.g. 832.05 = A3T.ZV
96.74 = NX.SF

Helmut.

From: Rick Rothstein on
To add to Helmut's suggestion (which I like, except I would use all letters
all the time)... since your money amounts always have two decimal places,
there is no need to include the decimal point in your encoded price... just
leave it out and assume the penny's amount is the last two letters. For
example...

832.05 = ERTZV
96.74 = NXSF

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Bernd P on
On 18 Mai, 07:31, Amin <A...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>
> At my shop I'm printing product labels from an Excel sheet.
>
> I'd like to add the cost field to the label but the problem everybody would
> be able to know my cost for an item unless I encode it, so I thought of
> converting numbers to characters for example:
>
> 0 = Z
> 1 = A
> 2 = B
> 3 = C
> 4 = D
>
> So, if the cost of an Item is 322.04 the field would show CBB.ZD
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hello,

Why not buying a barcode reader and printing prices with a barcode
font?

Regards,
Bernd
From: J_Knowles on
How about using numbers:

reverse the numbers and drop the decimal
cost is 322.04 the field would show 40223
cost is 569.38 the field would show 83965
cost is 256.02 the field would show 20652

or use a decimal out of place with reversed numbers
(decimal moved 2 places)
cost is 322.04 the field would show 4022.3
cost is 569.38 the field would show 8396.5
cost is 256.02 the field would show 2065.2

HTH,

--
Data Hog

"Amin" wrote:

> Hello Experts,
>
> At my shop I'm printing product labels from an Excel sheet.
>
> I'd like to add the cost field to the label but the problem everybody would
> be able to know my cost for an item unless I encode it, so I thought of
> converting numbers to characters for example:
>
> 0 = Z
> 1 = A
> 2 = B
> 3 = C
> 4 = D
>
> So, if the cost of an Item is 322.04 the field would show CBB.ZD
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4