From: joel on

I'm proposing to automate, but wanted to propose the algorithm first.
You said you wanted some suggestions so I didn't know your skill level.

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

From: Don Guillett on
Send a file with/without dummy data. I don't care about the data only a LOT
of samples of the layout.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Howard" <man_o_law(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm grateful for the offer Don, but the list is highly confidential.
>
> Could I perhaps send you some specimens of typical records with the data
> altered to protect confidentiality? Then perhaps you might be able
> recommend a routine to apply to the whole file.
>
> Howard
>
> "Don Guillett" <dguillett1(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if:
>> 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet
>> 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line
>> 3. You send a clear explanation of what you want
>> 4. You send before/after examples and expected results.
>>

>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett(a)gmail.com
>> "Howard" <man_o_law(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Office Professional Edition 2003
>>>
>>> I want to convert a list of members of a club and their contact details
>>> into a spreadsheet database.
>>>
>>> The form of each record in Word is: membership type (in upper case),
>>> name, address, phone number (if any), fax (if any), email (if any), for
>>> example
>>>
>>> ACTIVE
>>> Bill Gates
>>> Office in the Sky
>>> 25 The Long Road
>>> The Big City
>>> State, Code
>>> COUNTRY
>>> Phone: 123 4567 8910
>>> Fax: 123 4567 8910
>>> Email: bill(a)heaven.org
>>> Each line in each record terminates with a line break, and each record
>>> terminates with a paragraph mark.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the records are not uniform because:
>>> a.. the addresses differ in number of lines
>>> b.. COUNTRY is omitted if not USA
>>> c.. the Phone, Fax and Email details are omitted if none
>>> I want to end up with each type, name, address (single field will be
>>> OK), Phone, Fax and Email each in separate fields.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions please?
>>>
>>> Howard

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2