From: Mark Carter on
I've been trying our Copernic Desktop Search the last couple of days,
and I think it's growing on me.

From
http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/download.html
Find any file on your computer
* Instantly find Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, HTML, Word Perfect,
text, ZIP files.
* Quickly locate emails or attachments from Outlook, Outlook
Express, Eudora and Mozilla Thunderbird.
* Search for over 150 other types of files like mp3, jpg, wav, mpeg
and mov files.
* Power your search with specific refining fields or advanced
search operators.

A search box is attached to your search bar, so that you can type in
searches. It saves hunting and navigating to where a file is.

I had considered the Google alternative, but rejected it when I read
that it had a phone-home feature.

I've also tried Agent Ransack - which is good, but I think Copernic is
better. It can produce results faster because it actually indexes the
files. I have it tweaked so that it treats my lisp files as text files -
so I can find documentation a bit easier.

It got me thinking about some bloke was saying that directories was a
bad way to store data, and that a better way would be based on sets. It
seems that the whole file indexing thing is actually a realisation of
that theory.

Who knows, in the future, all files might actually be stored in just one
directory, just like the FORTRAN programmers of old used to do ;)
From: badgolferman on
Mark Carter, 8/18/2006,6:56:55 PM, wrote:

> I've been trying our Copernic Desktop Search the last couple of days,
> and I think it's growing on me.
>
> From
> http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/download.html
> Find any file on your computer
> * Instantly find Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, HTML, Word Perfect,
> text, ZIP files. * Quickly locate emails or attachments from
> Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora and Mozilla Thunderbird. *
> Search for over 150 other types of files like mp3, jpg, wav, mpeg and
> mov files. * Power your search with specific refining fields or
>

> A search box is attached to your search bar, so that you can type in
> searches. It saves hunting and navigating to where a file is.
>
> I had considered the Google alternative, but rejected it when I read
> that it had a phone-home feature.
>
> I've also tried Agent Ransack - which is good, but I think Copernic
> is better. It can produce results faster because it actually indexes
> the files. I have it tweaked so that it treats my lisp files as text
> files - so I can find documentation a bit easier.
>
> It got me thinking about some bloke was saying that directories was a
> bad way to store data, and that a better way would be based on sets.
> It seems that the whole file indexing thing is actually a realisation
> of that theory.
>
> Who knows, in the future, all files might actually be stored in just
> one directory, just like the FORTRAN programmers of old used to do ;)

How ironic, that is just like Gmail's "label" feature for e-mails.

I use Copernic also and find it less obtrusive wit a better GUI than
the other indexing programs. I'm still not sure it's any better than
the native OS Search function for the average user like myself though.
From: Mark Carter on
Mark Carter wrote:

> Who knows, in the future, all files might actually be stored in just one
> directory, just like the FORTRAN programmers of old used to do ;)

Having said that, Forth inventor Charles Moore doesn't seem to like
filesystems, he says he prefers blocks (basically, you just read and
write to the hard disk as a raw data, you don't worry about logical
structuring into files), which you then search.

From
http://www.ultratechnology.com/1xforth.htm
"If you have files in your application, in your Forth system then you
have words like
OPEN CLOSE READ WRITE REWIND whatever
and they are arguably not going to be such short words, They are going
to be words like OPEN-FILE because of all kinds of things that you want
to be opening and closing like windows.
If you can realize that this is all unnecessary you save one hundred
percent of the code that went into writing the file system."

.... although he probably meant it in some context that you have to get
right.

Hoping to avoid a flamewar over this.
From: badgolferman on
Trab, 8/18/2006,8:20:59 PM, wrote:

> Mark Carter <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying our Copernic Desktop Search
>
> Does anyone know why these search engines work with Outlook, Eudora
> and Thunderbird but not with Pegasus?
>
> Trab

Maybe because the database structure of Pegasus is not common or maybe
because very few people us it and it is not worth doing the work to
support it. Just my guess.
From: Goeroeboeroe on
In article <59mce2depv31g195nu4qkt45o6cc72pfda(a)4ax.com>,
nicecuppanow(a)mail.com says...
> Mark Carter <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying our Copernic Desktop Search
>
> Does anyone know why these search engines work with Outlook, Eudora
> and Thunderbird but not with Pegasus?
>
> Trab

No, but some time ago I mailed them to ask if they could add OpenOffice,
and a few weeks later it was added, so...

Peter