From: Jim on
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to copy and paste information from one cell
to multiple cells when there is intermitant data in a column. For example,
Example:

Column A
In row 1 I have the word "operations"
with rows 2 - 10 blank and then
In row 11 I have the word "Courier"
and rows 12-22 blank
In row 23 I have the word "Sales"
with rows 24 - 32 blank. Etc...

Is there an easier way to command a copy and paste witout having to address
each cell with text?

Thanks
Jim
From: Jim Thomlinson on
did you wan tto fill in the blanks or what exactly did you want to do. Show a
before and after so taht we can give the the proper steps.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

From: Art on
On 3/26/10 9:54 AM, Jim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to copy and paste information from one cell
> to multiple cells when there is intermitant data in a column. For example,
> Example:
>
> Column A
> In row 1 I have the word "operations"
> with rows 2 - 10 blank and then
> In row 11 I have the word "Courier"
> and rows 12-22 blank
> In row 23 I have the word "Sales"
> with rows 24 - 32 blank. Etc...
>
> Is there an easier way to command a copy and paste witout having to address
> each cell with text?
>
> Thanks
> Jim
Jim,

The Data/Filter/Advance Filter command might do what you want.

In your example, do the following:

1) Insert a blank row ABOVE your first row of entries (A1 in your example).

2) In cell A1 put a title for the entries for this column (eg: mydata).

3) Set up a filtering criteria in two successive cells that are not part
of your data range (eg: Z1:Z2). For example:

cell Z1: the title you entered for the column A entries from A1
cell Z2: *

Then, execute the Data/Filter/Advance Filter command:

1) Enter the data range of the data you wish to filter. Make sure you
include row 1 that has the column title in the range.

2) Enter the cells for the criteria range (Z1:Z2 in the example)

3) Chose the action that you want - either filter the range in place or
copy to another location. A single cell reference will suffice. I'd
suggest using the copy option until you get the filtering the way you
want as the filter command is usually undo-able.

4) Optionally, you can choose to have duplicate records deleted.

In the criteria example above, the * wildcard character indicates a
match of any character. Thus, a blank cell in a column A cell will fail
this test and won't be part of the result. The Excel Help has a number
of examples of setting up filter criteria.

--
Regards,
Art