From: Goran on
On May 11, 3:18 pm, Frank <j...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> This doesn't work:
>
> class C2
> {
>
>   C2(C2 &cRHS)

That should be const, to assure that you don't change cRHS there
(normally, you want to make a copy of an object, not to make a copy
and change the original). Is it that C1 has this:

C1::C1(const C1&rhs)?

(if C1 has a default copt ctor, that's it's "invisible declaration").

there, rhs is const, and so C2 instance inside rhs is const. But C2
ctor wants a non-const reference, and you didn't give it that.

Goran.
From: Frank on
Goran wrote:

> Is it that C1 has this:
>
> C1::C1(const C1&rhs)?
>
> (if C1 has a default copt ctor, that's it's "invisible declaration").

Many thanks - so this is the solution. C1 doesn't have
an explicit copy constructor, so it uses the default which
has a "const" argument, as you say.
From: Jerry Coffin on
In article <4457d090-6b1e-41d4-932b-
dcbf971d009f(a)l31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, jerk(a)gmx.de says...

[ ... ]

> Yes, thanks, I'll strip it down a bit because I found a
> solution now but don't understand it - it works if I
> make the parameter of the copy constructor of C2
> a "const":

Yes -- if you have a type T, the parameter for its copy ctor should
be 'T const &'.

It's const for two reasons: first of all, a temporary can be bound to
a reference to const T, but cannot be bound to a reference to (non-
const) T. Second, a (normal) copy ctor has no business modifying what
it's copying in any case.

As far as what the "normal" refers to above, C++ 0x adds the concept
of an 'rvalue reference'. The basic idea is that *if* you're copying
a temporary object that's going to be destroyed after copying anyway,
you can move the data from one object to another instead of making a
whole new copy of the data, then destroying the old one. Especially
for classes that contain large, dynamically allocated data (e.g. a
string or vector) you can gain quite a lot of speed by "stealing" the
data instead of copying it (typically doing a shallow copy instead of
a deep copy).

--
Later,
Jerry.