From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:57:20 -0800, eWolf wrote:

> Dear Linux guru,
>
> I need to make a highest performance x86-64 PC and PC server (dual
> socket) with CentOS 4.8 (RHEL 4.8).
> I do think about Core i7 MB's compatibility?
>
> Does anybody have an experience using Core i7 PC and servers with CentOS
> 4.8.
>
> Volodymyr

Why 4.8 instead of 5.4?

Assuming that you have some software that really needs 4.8 then you
should consider using a VM. VMs allow you to separate the hardware and
software compatibility problems. It sounds like you are planning on using
a server motherboard which means that it will probably be supported by
RHEL 5.4/CentOS 5.4. 5.4 includes KVM which has excellent performance, my
measurements put it at least 95% of native performance. You can put a 4.8
VM on top of 5.4 which will give you the software compatibility that you
need without restricting your hardware choices. I use CentOS 5.4 VMs on
top of Fedora 12. My compute servers use desktop motherboards which
generally aren't supported by CentOS until they are a year or two old.
Fedora always has the very latest kernel so it's capable of running on
everything. Before F11 I used VMware Server because KVM wasn't mature
enough, as of F11 KVM's performance exceeded VMware's so I switched to
it. The F11 version of KVM had excellent Linux VM performance but the
Windows performance was still poor, the F12 version of KVM fixed the
Windows performance issues. CentOS 5.4 probably has the same version of
KVM as F11 so you should be able to run a 4.8 VM at almost native speeds.
If you find that your systems can't run CentOS 5.4 natively then the
solution would be to use Fedora 12 until CentOS catches up with the
hardware. The VMs are the same for CentOS and Fedora so it will be no
problem maintaining your environment if you do have to do an F12 to
CentOS 5.5 migration later. BTW there are no stability issues with F12
when you use it as a server. The things that break in Fedora are the
desktop applications which you aren't using anyway. As a server you won't
even be using X most of the time, just the kernel and the shells.