From: GTalbot on
On 8 sep, 12:34, Ryan Chan <ryanchan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Conside simple HTML/CSS code...

> .left{
>     display:inline;
>     float:left
>
> }
>
> .right {
>     display:inline;
>     float:right;
>
> }
>
> .clear {
>     clear:both;
>
> }

> after two floated DIV, which of the following one is correct?
>
> 1. <div class="clear"></div>
> 2. <div class="clear">&nbsp;</div>
> 3. <div class="clear"><!-- --></div>
> 4. <br class="clear" />

Ryan,

I would simply use the next [sibling] block element in the document
order and set it to clear: both.
Setting clear to an empty element may not be semantically correct. To
clear an element, you shouldn't have to create and insert an empty
element (it increases the DOM tree for no reason). So, #1 and #2 are
definitely not recommendable, not best practice.

The CSS 2.1 ( http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-float )
gives an interactive example of how to use clear (left) with
screenshot of expected results (before and after clearing left). You
can view it in this demo:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/Float2p-with-clear-left..html

And what Andy Dingley wrote you is correct: a <br> would not be valid
under strict DTD.

regards, Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 56 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/
From: GTalbot on
On 8 sep, 18:31, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I'd be surprised if even IE saw <div class="clear"><!-- --></div> as
> different to <div class="clear"></div>.

IE 7, at least, considers, treats SGML comment differently. It does
really treat
as different to

Adjacent sibling selector and comment bug in Internet Explorer 7 and
Internet Explorer 8 beta 1.
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/#bug165
and
http://web.archive.org/web/20080210175201/http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/ie7-bugs
from Andreas Prilop

but there are also another bunch of cases where IE 6, IE 7 and even IE
8 treats SGML comments differently.

regards, Gérard
From: dorayme on
In article
<9135732a-db63-4880-9a88-1ea0bbe57933(a)a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
GTalbot <newsgroup(a)gtalbot.org> wrote:

> Setting clear to an empty element may not be semantically correct. To
> clear an element, you shouldn't have to create and insert an empty
> element (it increases the DOM tree for no reason). So, #1 and #2 are
> definitely not recommendable, not best practice.

Sometimes there is no relevant following element and the point of the
clearing is to make a container "see" its floats and grow height for
them. IE6 at least does not notice overflow: hidden to do this trick and
so sometimes a clearing element is needed in this situation. But
otherwise I agree with Adrienne and you on this, best to use the
following element for the clearing style.

--
dorayme
From: dorayme on
In article
<3776f0ab-f378-4563-af4f-9fcc01f23509(a)38g2000yqr.googlegroups.com>,
GTalbot <newsgroup(a)gtalbot.org> wrote:

> On 8 sep, 18:31, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

> > I'd be surprised if even IE saw <div class="clear"><!-- --></div> as
> > different to <div class="clear"></div>.
>

> IE 7, at least, considers, treats SGML comment differently. It does
> really treat
> as different to
>
> Adjacent sibling selector and comment bug in Internet Explorer 7 and
> Internet Explorer 8 beta 1.
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/#bug165
> and
> http://web.archive.org/web/20080210175201/http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nht
> capri/ie7-bugs
> from Andreas Prilop
>
> but there are also another bunch of cases where IE 6, IE 7 and even IE
> 8 treats SGML comments differently.

You snipped my: "But only to the extent of an almost imperceptible
eyebrow raise." I duly raise one of my eyebrows. <g>

--
dorayme
From: Andreas Prilop on

http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/ie7-bugs.html

--
I used to believe in reincarnation in a former life.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last