From: jeffg on
I have a client who is fixated on using the Avant Garde font. I know a
lot of PC's don't have it, so I've hunted for a fall-back font to
list. But does anyone have a suggestion for getting the Avant Garde
look on a Web page?
From: dorayme on
In article
<0bd4821a-4756-4557-ba84-95b3988729e4(a)p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
jeffg <jeffgutsell(a)fuse.net> wrote:

> I have a client who is fixated on using the Avant Garde font. I know a
> lot of PC's don't have it, so I've hunted for a fall-back font to
> list. But does anyone have a suggestion for getting the Avant Garde
> look on a Web page?

Well, if you find something you think is close to that font, put it next
in the list and end with 'sans-serif' in your CSS for font-family. But
it will only improve the situation significantly if people are
significantly likely to have it if they do not have the Avant Garde font
your client wants. You can put in as many fallbacks in the list

font-family {..., ..., ..., sans-serif;}

as you like. But the same logic of the likelihood of them doing any real
good will only hit pay-dirt when a big number of users have those fonts.

Naturally, you can have that look if you make all the text pictures but
not at all a good idea. You could, depending on your pages, have a few
headings in that way. But there are many cons against even this (but it
is not as bad as all that... though, looking at this font, it does not
seem so unusual to me to be worth making pictures of headings in it.
Occasionally I make headings with fancy fonts, especially when I want to
put a few other graphic elements in...

--
dorayme
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2009-09-27, dorayme wrote:
> In article
><0bd4821a-4756-4557-ba84-95b3988729e4(a)p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
> jeffg <jeffgutsell(a)fuse.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a client who is fixated on using the Avant Garde font. I know a
>> lot of PC's don't have it, so I've hunted for a fall-back font to
>> list. But does anyone have a suggestion for getting the Avant Garde
>> look on a Web page?
>
> Well, if you find something you think is close to that font, put it next
> in the list and end with 'sans-serif' in your CSS for font-family. But
> it will only improve the situation significantly if people are
> significantly likely to have it if they do not have the Avant Garde font
> your client wants. You can put in as many fallbacks in the list
>
> font-family {..., ..., ..., sans-serif;}
>
> as you like. But the same logic of the likelihood of them doing any real
> good will only hit pay-dirt when a big number of users have those fonts.
>
> Naturally, you can have that look if you make all the text pictures but
> not at all a good idea. You could, depending on your pages, have a few
> headings in that way. But there are many cons against even this (but it
> is not as bad as all that... though, looking at this font, it does not
> seem so unusual to me to be worth making pictures of headings in it.
> Occasionally I make headings with fancy fonts, especially when I want to
> put a few other graphic elements in...

I've created a few headers with Avant Garde, e.g.,
<http://webdesign.cfajohnson.com/fixed-width/>. I write a short
PostScript program and use ImageMagick's convert utility and
giftrans (or gimp) to create the final GIF:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 860 92

/F { findfont exch scalefont setfont } def
5 10 moveto
5 22 moveto
3 dup scale
30 /ITCAvantGarde-Demi F
0 0 0 setrgbcolor
gsave
(A tale of two pages) dup show
grestore
-1 2 rmoveto
1 1 .65 setrgbcolor
show
showpage

Author:
From: dorayme on
In article <7i813rF2u0ep1U2(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2009-09-27, dorayme wrote:
> > Occasionally I make headings with fancy fonts, especially when I want to
> > put a few other graphic elements in...
>
> I've created a few headers with Avant Garde, e.g.,
> <http://webdesign.cfajohnson.com/fixed-width/>. I write a short
> PostScript program and use ImageMagick's convert utility and
> giftrans (or gimp) to create the final GIF:
>
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 860 92
>
> /F { findfont exch scalefont setfont } def
> 5 10 moveto

mmm... well, that's a nice geeky way to do it! I do it in Illustrator or
Fireworks (both strong on font management) and export to gif or png or
whatever.

I used to play about with sizing such things in ems in the CSS (to get
scaleable) and if you make the original a good quality at the likeliest
biggest size humans will need, they scale down fabulously on Macs and
many modern browsers. But I have been persuaded that this is not so much
the case with IE especially and not on Windows...

--
dorayme
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2009-09-27, dorayme wrote:
> In article <7i813rF2u0ep1U2(a)mid.individual.net>,
> "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-27, dorayme wrote:
>> > Occasionally I make headings with fancy fonts, especially when I want to
>> > put a few other graphic elements in...
>>
>> I've created a few headers with Avant Garde, e.g.,
>> <http://webdesign.cfajohnson.com/fixed-width/>. I write a short
>> PostScript program and use ImageMagick's convert utility and
>> giftrans (or gimp) to create the final GIF:
>>
>> %!PS-Adobe-3.0
>> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 860 92
>>
>> /F { findfont exch scalefont setfont } def
>> 5 10 moveto
>

> mmm... well, that's a nice geeky way to do it! I do it in Illustrator or
> Fireworks (both strong on font management) and export to gif or png or
> whatever.
>
> I used to play about with sizing such things in ems in the CSS (to get
> scaleable) and if you make the original a good quality at the likeliest
> biggest size humans will need, they scale down fabulously on Macs and
> many modern browsers. But I have been persuaded that this is not so much
> the case with IE especially and not on Windows...

I think the problem must be Windows itself more than IE. I
occasionally run IE under wine on Linux, and resizing looks all
right. (It does depend on the quality of the file.)

Author: