From: dorayme on
In article <7i8308F30802lU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2009-09-27, dorayme wrote:
> > In article <7i813rF2u0ep1U2(a)mid.individual.net>,
> > "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2009-09-27, dorayme wrote:
> > I used to play about with sizing such things in ems in the CSS (to get
> > scaleable) and if you make the original a good quality at the likeliest
> > biggest size humans will need, they scale down fabulously on Macs and
> > many modern browsers. But I have been persuaded that this is not so much
> > the case with IE especially and not on Windows...
>
> I think the problem must be Windows itself more than IE. I
> occasionally run IE under wine on Linux, and resizing looks all
> right. (It does depend on the quality of the file.)

You are probably right, I must recheck, I have pared down my XP box to
bare essentials, IE. But I sort of recall em img scaling not looking all
that great on Win2000 when I did have FF on it.

--
dorayme
From: C A Upsdell on
Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed jeffg <jeffgutsell(a)fuse.net> writing
> in news:0bd4821a-4756-4557-ba84-95b3988729e4(a)p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I have a client who is fixated on using the Avant Garde font. I know a
>> lot of PC's don't have it, so I've hunted for a fall-back font to
>> list. But does anyone have a suggestion for getting the Avant Garde
>> look on a Web page?
>>

> Some browsers are able to do @fontface:
>
> 1. Opera
> 2. Safari
> 3. Firefox (but will only accept relative links)
> 4. IE only supports EOT

Legal issues here. I have Bitstream Avant Garde, and embeddding is
allowed. I also have URW Avant Garde, and embedding is NOT allowed.
The OP would have to check the font properties to see what is allowed
for his/her version.
From: Stan Brown on
27 Sep 2009 02:31:23 GMT from Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com>:
> I've created a few headers with Avant Garde, e.g.,
> <http://webdesign.cfajohnson.com/fixed-width/>. I write a short
> PostScript program and use ImageMagick's convert utility and
> giftrans (or gimp) to create the final GIF:

So much for search engines.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2009-09-27, Stan Brown wrote:
> 27 Sep 2009 02:31:23 GMT from Chris F.A. Johnson
><cfajohnson(a)gmail.com>:
>> I've created a few headers with Avant Garde, e.g.,
>> <http://webdesign.cfajohnson.com/fixed-width/>. I write a short
>> PostScript program and use ImageMagick's convert utility and
>> giftrans (or gimp) to create the final GIF:
>
> So much for search engines.

Don't search engines read alt text?

Author:
From: Nik Coughlin on
"jeffg" <jeffgutsell(a)fuse.net> wrote in message
>I have a client who is fixated on using the Avant Garde font. I know a
> lot of PC's don't have it, so I've hunted for a fall-back font to
> list. But does anyone have a suggestion for getting the Avant Garde
> look on a Web page?

Century Gothic