From: Bill Murphy on
I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.

I would also prefer "pocket-size", or a maybe bit larger, for being as
inconspicuous as possible.

If I go down in price a few steps, what digital point-and-shoot
cameras with a mid-range zoom have the better reputation for quality
images.

RAW would be great, but I can do without.

Thank you for any advice.

Bill Murphy
From: Paul Furman on
Bill Murphy wrote:
> I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
> attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
> D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.

Get a G11 and get it dirty & scratched, black tape over the labels &
flash, flip the LCD over so it's hidden & use the optical viewfinder so
people think it's a P&S film camera. Carry it in a dumpy looking cloth
lunch bag.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Bruce on
On Sun, 09 May 2010 22:45:01 GMT, billmurphy(a)protech.com (Bill Murphy)
wrote:
>I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
>attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
>D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.
>
>I would also prefer "pocket-size", or a maybe bit larger, for being as
>inconspicuous as possible.
>
>If I go down in price a few steps, what digital point-and-shoot
>cameras with a mid-range zoom have the better reputation for quality
>images.
>
>RAW would be great, but I can do without.
>
>Thank you for any advice.

The Panasonic Lumix LX3 is relatively inconspicuous in black.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCLX3/

I would also suggest taking a look at the Panasonic Lumix GF1 which is
a Micro Four Thirds camera with interchangeable lenses. I have just
replaced my LX3 with a GF-1 and am happy with it. Effectively, it
gives DSLR quality in a much smaller package (my other camera is a
Nikon D700). Once again, it is relatively inconspicuous in black.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/

At a smaller size, the Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR gives surprisingly
good results at high ISOs making it a good travel camera. It is also
competitively priced - at least here in the UK.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf200exr/

(The reviewed F200EXR was in silver finish, however it is also
available in black.)
From: ransley on
On May 9, 5:45 pm, billmur...(a)protech.com (Bill Murphy) wrote:
> I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
> attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
> D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.
>
> I would also prefer "pocket-size", or a maybe bit larger, for being as
> inconspicuous as possible.
>
> If I go down in price a few steps, what digital point-and-shoot
> cameras with a mid-range zoom have the better reputation for quality
> images.
>
> RAW would be great, but I can do without.
>
> Thank you for any advice.
>
> Bill Murphy

Canon S90
From: tcroyer on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 May 2010 22:45:01 GMT, billmurphy(a)protech.com (Bill Murphy)
> wrote:
>>I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
>>attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
>>D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.
>>
>>I would also prefer "pocket-size", or a maybe bit larger, for being as
>>inconspicuous as possible.
>>
>>If I go down in price a few steps, what digital point-and-shoot
>>cameras with a mid-range zoom have the better reputation for quality
>>images.
>>
>>RAW would be great, but I can do without.
>>
>>Thank you for any advice.
>

> The Panasonic Lumix LX3 is relatively inconspicuous in black.
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCLX3/
>
> I would also suggest taking a look at the Panasonic Lumix GF1 which is
> a Micro Four Thirds camera with interchangeable lenses. I have just
> replaced my LX3 with a GF-1 and am happy with it. Effectively, it
> gives DSLR quality in a much smaller package (my other camera is a
> Nikon D700). Once again, it is relatively inconspicuous in black.
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/
>
> At a smaller size, the Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR gives surprisingly
> good results at high ISOs making it a good travel camera. It is also
> competitively priced - at least here in the UK.
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf200exr/
>
> (The reviewed F200EXR was in silver finish, however it is also
> available in black.)

Not quite in the same class as the Fuji, but a good travel camera
that you wouldn't lose a fortune on is the Kodak Z915. Longer
zoom range and the (dis)advantage of being powered on AA
batteries. It's what I carry when I think there's a realistic chance
that I could use or "fatally" damage my camera. It's cheaper, too,
than the Fuji.