Prev: Wavelets
From: Sonali Agarwal on
Hello,
i want do do carrier recovery using costas loop(BPSK based) for
coherent demodulation of GMSK. Has anybody tried it? If yes, please
help me out.

Thanks and Regards,
Sonali
From: John on
On Aug 13, 5:10 am, Sonali Agarwal <sonali...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>    i want do do carrier recovery using costas loop(BPSK based) for
> coherent demodulation of GMSK. Has anybody tried it? If  yes, please
> help me out.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sonali

The standard Costas loop will not work for MSK because the phase
rotates by pi/2 radians within each symbol. I am sure some regulars
here will point to toward a couple of approaches to the problem.

John
From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/13/2010 07:04 AM, John wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:10 am, Sonali Agarwal<sonali...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> i want do do carrier recovery using costas loop(BPSK based) for
>> coherent demodulation of GMSK. Has anybody tried it? If yes, please
>> help me out.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Sonali
>
> The standard Costas loop will not work for MSK because the phase
> rotates by pi/2 radians within each symbol. I am sure some regulars
> here will point to toward a couple of approaches to the problem.

You can do a Costas loop with MSK -- I know, because I've done it.
Unfortunately I did it over 20 years ago, so the only detail that I
remember is that with high noise and a low sampling rate the variant of
the Costas loop that I was using tends to acquire a bias in the phase
error that overwhelms the actual signal. So I ended up using a
square-and-filter loop instead.

One of the first two references in this bibliography has some pointers
to using a Costas loop with MSK:
http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/MSK/page_81.html. But I can't
remember if it just says "use a Costas loop" or if it actually details
its use.

If you take a real MSK signal and square it, you get two distinct tones
centered at twice the carrier frequency, with each tone spaced 1/2 the
bit rate away from the center. You can phase lock to these tones, then
divide by two, and get a really nice lock for both the bit clock and the
carrier. I don't know how this would work for GMSK -- you'd have to
play with it a bit. I also don't know how this would work for an I/Q
signal -- you'd have to think about how to do the squaring operation
such that your result was sensible.

I used this "square and filter" approach when I did that project; the
next time I needed to demodulate GMSK I was doing it in batches in
Scilab, and I used an algorithm that's sort of a sad mutant offspring of
the Costas loop that only makes sense when you're demodulating GMSK long
after the fact with a processor that has an excess of computational
power in a project environment that puts far more stress on controlling
engineering cost vs. controlling receiver cost.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/13/2010 02:10 AM, Sonali Agarwal wrote:
> Hello,
> i want do do carrier recovery using costas loop(BPSK based) for
> coherent demodulation of GMSK. Has anybody tried it? If yes, please
> help me out.

Read this, too, there may be some nuggets you can use:

http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/MSK/mskTop.html.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:04:40 -0700 (PDT), John <sampson164(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 13, 5:10=A0am, Sonali Agarwal <sonali...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> =A0 =A0i want do do carrier recovery using costas loop(BPSK based) for
>> coherent demodulation of GMSK. Has anybody tried it? If =A0yes, please
>> help me out.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Sonali
>
>The standard Costas loop will not work for MSK because the phase
>rotates by pi/2 radians within each symbol. I am sure some regulars
>here will point to toward a couple of approaches to the problem.
>
>John

If you remove the 1/2 symbol offset in the channels prior to the phase
detector a Costas Loop works just fine.

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications