From: Juhani Jaakola on
I have a faulty 1541 drive. When I power up with no computer
connection, the red light and the motor just stay on forever. Page
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/fix1541.txt suggests that
the ROM 901229-05 could be broken.

Can anyone sell me a working chip? Or can anyone burn me a new ROM,
the image is in http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/1541-e000.901229-05.bin
From: Bill Garber on

"Juhani Jaakola" <juhani.jaakola(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote in message
> I have a faulty 1541 drive. When I power up with no computer
> connection, the red light and the motor just stay on forever.
> Page http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/fix1541.txt
> suggests that the ROM 901229-05 could be broken.
>
> Can anyone sell me a working chip? Or can anyone burn me a new
> ROM, the image is in
> http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/1541-e000.901229-05.bin

Probably quite a few of us could. I can for sure, but, location
is very important. I don't like shipping outside the US anymore.

Bill

From: JPPBM on
On Mar 9, 3:28 pm, "Bill Garber" <willy4...(a)garberstreet.com> wrote:
> "Juhani Jaakola" <juhani.jaak...(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote in message

> > I have a faulty 1541 drive. When I power up with no computer
> > connection, the red light and the motor just stay on forever.
> > Pagehttp://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/fix1541.txt
> > suggests that the ROM 901229-05 could be broken.
>
> > Can anyone sell me a working chip? Or can anyone burn me a new
> > ROM, the image is in
> >http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/1541-...
>
> Probably quite a few of us could. I can for sure, but, location
> is very important. I don't like shipping outside the US anymore.
>
> Bill

I have lots. I'll ship you one (or more), Send me an E-mail with your
address and I will get a postage quote for you...
From: Sam on
On 9 mrt, 20:47, Juhani Jaakola <juhani.jaak...(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> I have a faulty 1541 drive. When I power up with no computer
> connection, the red light and the motor just stay on forever. Pagehttp://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/fix1541.txtsuggests that
> the ROM 901229-05 could be broken.
>
> Can anyone sell me a working chip? Or can anyone burn me a new ROM,
> the image is inhttp://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/1541-...

Are you sure the 5V rectifier bridge is good? A defective ROM is
uncommon.

Regards, SAM.
From: Juhani Jaakola on
On Mar 10, 2:16 pm, Sam <siemappel...(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
> On 9 mrt, 20:47, Juhani Jaakola <juhani.jaak...(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote:
>
> > I have a faulty 1541 drive. When I power up with no computer
> > connection, the red light and the motor just stay on forever. Pagehttp://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/fix1541.txtsuggeststhat
> > the ROM 901229-05 could be broken.
>
> > Can anyone sell me a working chip? Or can anyone burn me a new ROM,
> > the image is inhttp://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/1541-...
>
> Are you sure the 5V rectifier bridge is good? A defective ROM is
> uncommon.
>
> Regards, SAM.

I have measured voltages on diodes CR2 and CR4 and they are OK (+5V
and +12V).

I try to find a working 1541 or a device which could read the ROM
contents so that I could verify that chip. So far I don't have access
to them.

Regards, JJ