From: Gaiseric Vandal on
Maybe try using Administrator as the name - I think you want to use an
account on the domain that has rights to add machines to the domain,
rather than the local root account.

YOu may also be able to precreate the machine account on NT4. And are
you running the latest NT4 patch (6a.) With SP3 or SP4 they changed
the security parameters on NT4.