From: Carolyn on
The count function is not working in one of my workbooks. It works in others
and in new ones. The workbook it is not working in was created last week.
It returns either zero or shows the function formula in the cell even though
calculate is set at automatic.

Carolyn
From: Eduardo on
Hi,
if it shows the function formula press

CTRL + Caps Lock + ~

~ is at the left of number one in your keyboard

From: Roger Govier on
Hi Carolyn

If it is showing the function, then the formula has been entered into a
cell that has been formatted as Text.
Right click on the cell>Format>Cells>Number>General
Once you have done that>F2 to edit cell>Enter

--
Regards
Roger Govier

From: Carolyn on
Thanks, Eduardo. I can't test your suggestion because at this time it is
returning zero. The next time I try, it may return the display of the
formula.

From: Dave Peterson on
If you see the formula, then the cell could be formatted as text.

So reformat that cell as General (or anything but text) and reenter the formula
(that's important!).

Or you could be looking at formulas. Ctrl-` (ctrl-backquote, to the left of the
1/! on my USA keyboard) is a way to toggle this (like Eduardo wrote).

If your values aren't really number, then the count could be zero.

If you try =counta(A1:A10) (adjust the range to match), do you get a non-zero
result?

If yes, then your numbers aren't really numbers.

Depending on the problem (extra whitespace) or values entered after the cell has
been formatted as Text or even formulas that return text:

=if(x99="a","1","2")

Then the fix will be different.

--

Dave Peterson