From: southern14 on
I have bought a HP compaq 6120 notebook that was previously leased by a
company, so it was networked and has several domains on it. I do not know
the admin password and have tried many different ways to recover it without
success. I have tried the XP CD repair, doing the shift F10 at the
installing device stage. It did bring up the user account info but still
didn't reset the passwords. I have also tried a few different downloadable
options - one said the password was either corrupted or too complicated to
decipher, the other just didn't work. I have removed the battery, that did
nothing. How can I restore the machine to a stand alone one and remove the
domains and user accounts I don't need without having access to admin
privileges?? The company members who leased it cannot help, and the lease
company don't want to know!!
--
southern14
From: David B. on
You can't reset passwords on domain accounts, reset the password on the
local administrator account or format and reload Windows.

From: Tim Meddick on
If the "Welcome" screen is set to come up - press the [Shift] key as Windows is
account appear.

Try loading the "Administrator" profile - hopefully it will not require a password on
this local Admin account.

If the "Welcome" screen is not set to appear - type "Administrator" into the Login
dialog box with NO Password and click on [ok]

Again - hopefully it will not require a password on this local Admin account.

If it does require a password for the local Admin account you could try this :

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/ntpassword/ntpasswordhack.zip

Otherwise, if that fails, I have no other suggestions than to reformat / re-install
XP...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)