From: Roger on
I intend upgrade to sp3 from sp2. I have Win xp pro 7. Microsoft advise
automated backup. I have read support info on creating backup. I inserted
floppy and followed instructions for system backup. Estimated time was
around 6days to complete ? It filled floppy quickly and was asked to insert
another. At this rate I would need dozens. Any advice please on above.

Regards Roger
----------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

From: news.microsoft.com on

"Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>I intend upgrade to sp3 from sp2. I have Win xp pro 7. Microsoft advise
>automated backup. I have read support info on creating backup. I inserted
>floppy and followed instructions for system backup. Estimated time was
>around 6days to complete ? It filled floppy quickly and was asked to
>insert another. At this rate I would need dozens. Any advice please on
>above.
>
> Regards Roger
> ----------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

You do realize even one cd is approx 400+ floppies? You also should realize
that Windows installed without any apps is usually even larger. Floppies is
not the way to go.

In practice a second hard disk is fastest and easiest, especially if it's an
external usb drive. They're pretty cheap now for one with capacity to keep
multiple backups. Other option is a DVD burner and backup to one or more
DVD's. If it's just personal stuff interested in (docs, pics, etc.) then
often that's small size and can even fit on a flash-thumb drive, memory card
if so equipped to write to one or a burned cd.

The big problem is creating the actual backup. If you are "religious" about
it and always keep your personal files (docs, pics, etc.) in ONE folder (and
sub-folders as required) it's easy to at least backup all that stuff.
Backing up Windows itself, the installed apps and all the other stuff is a
lot harder; can't fully be done just using Explorer and/or burning software
(if saving to DVD). I've personally used Acronis TrueImage to make an
"image" of my system that has worked when required. There's other software.

From: Roger on

"news.microsoft.com" <pjp_is_located_@_hotmail_dot_com> wrote in message

> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I intend upgrade to sp3 from sp2. I have Win xp pro 7. Microsoft advise
>>automated backup. I have read support info on creating backup. I inserted
>>floppy and followed instructions for system backup. Estimated time was
>>around 6days to complete ? It filled floppy quickly and was asked to
>>insert another. At this rate I would need dozens. Any advice please on
>>above.
>>
>> Regards Roger
>> ----------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
>
> You do realize even one cd is approx 400+ floppies? You also should
> realize that Windows installed without any apps is usually even larger.
> Floppies is not the way to go.
>
> In practice a second hard disk is fastest and easiest, especially if it's
> an external usb drive. They're pretty cheap now for one with capacity to
> keep multiple backups. Other option is a DVD burner and backup to one or
> more DVD's. If it's just personal stuff interested in (docs, pics, etc.)
> then often that's small size and can even fit on a flash-thumb drive,
> memory card if so equipped to write to one or a burned cd.
>
> The big problem is creating the actual backup. If you are "religious"
> about it and always keep your personal files (docs, pics, etc.) in ONE
> folder (and sub-folders as required) it's easy to at least backup all that
> stuff. Backing up Windows itself, the installed apps and all the other
> stuff is a lot harder; can't fully be done just using Explorer and/or
> burning software (if saving to DVD). I've personally used Acronis
> TrueImage to make an "image" of my system that has worked when required.
> There's other software.
Thank you for input, The win tech site for "How to Re-create a Missing
Automated system recovery Floppy Disk" just refers to a Floppy!
I have MY Docs and files back up to a USB pencil drive normally. All I
wanted was a boot backup in case system went wrong on upgrade to SP3 as MS
recommends ! So Im a little blank on what to do.

Roger

From: Daave on
Roger wrote:
> I intend upgrade to sp3 from sp2. I have Win xp pro 7.

What is Win xp pro 7?

From: Twayne on
In news:OifiSQYDLHA.5476(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Roger <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> typed:
> I intend upgrade to sp3 from sp2. I have Win xp pro 7.
> Microsoft advise automated backup. I have read support info on creating
> backup. I inserted floppy and followed instructions for system backup.
> Estimated time was around 6days to complete ? It filled floppy quickly
> and
> was asked to insert another. At this rate I would need dozens. Any advice
> please on above.
> Regards Roger

Reread the instructions: Chances are excellent it's going to be a total of 5
or 6 floppies. They go with the ASR disk usually.