From: disney_snoopy on
On Nov 30, 2:20 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> > glen, even his specification is incomplete. The input audio should
> > be STEREO, i.e., left and right.
>
> I thought about mentioning that, but decided not to.
>
> Otherwise, it is much easier to create the stereo signal with
> a mono source...
>
> -- glen

Coding below is i use to code the pilot freq.

x3 = ((0.5*sin(2*pi*19000*t1))+ (randn(size(t1))));
[f3] = pmtm(x3,4,65536,fs);

While for the L+R i cant use this to code.
From: Randy Yates on
disney_snoopy <disney_snoopy(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 30, 1:42 pm, Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>> glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

>> > Generate sum and difference, generate pilot signal, generate AMSC
>> > subcarrier with the appropriate phase, add all three together.
>>
>> > A little more complicated since 200 isn't a multiple of 38.
>>
>> glen, even his specification is incomplete. The input audio should
>> be STEREO, i.e., left and right.
>> --
>> Randy Yates                      % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
>> Digital Signal Labs              %                    and kiss her interface,
>> mailto://ya...(a)ieee.org          %            til then, I'll leave her alone."http://www.digitalsignallabs.com%        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
>
> Hi Glen and Randy,
>
> This is my DSP project.
> what i am doing is use a software to prove the FM stereo is work which
> can get the outlook structure to this FM stereo broadcast. After get
> the
> FM stereo structured, apply an audio frequency to this FM stereo and
> calculate out the THD.
>
> What i know from here is the L+R region is 50Hz to 15kHz. How to
> implement
> it to the Matlab i really no idea. Hence, now im finding for help or
> comment on which command i should use to implement the L+R region.
> I tried to use multiband coding for this region but i found that i
> cant code my pilot frequency.
> The only thing that i can do in this Matlab now is only the pilot
> freq.
>
> So now do you all get what i mean and what i want?

Not really. I'm not good at inferring meaning from poorly-constructed
sentences.

However, I'm almost positive that if you read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting#Modulation_characteristics

and can really understand it, especially the section entitled "FM
stereo," then you will have answered many of your own questions.

It seems you've put the cart before the horse and you are trying
to implement a system that you really don't understand - that will
never work.
--
Randy Yates % "And all you had to say
Digital Signal Labs % was that you were
From: Randy Yates on
disney_snoopy <disney_snoopy(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 30, 2:20 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>> > glen, even his specification is incomplete. The input audio should
>> > be STEREO, i.e., left and right.
>>
>> I thought about mentioning that, but decided not to.
>>
>> Otherwise, it is much easier to create the stereo signal with
>> a mono source...
>>
>> -- glen
>
> Coding below is i use to code the pilot freq.
>
> x3 = ((0.5*sin(2*pi*19000*t1))+ (randn(size(t1))));
>
> [f3] = pmtm(x3,4,65536,fs);

[Pardon me, glen, for stepping in here...]

You probably don't want to do things this way. What you probably want to
do is first create the sum (s(t)), difference (d(t)), and pilot (p(t))
signals, then sum them to get a composite baseband signal:

b(t) = s(t) + d(t) + p(t)

Then FM-modulate b(t). Then add the (possibly complex) noise as the
final step.

Rethinking this whole situation, this problem is probably too advanced
for you at this stage. You need to try a few simpler experiments in
Matlab first and learn some of the terininology, concepts, and
techniques, before tackling a full FM stereo modulator.
--
Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
Digital Signal Labs % and kiss her interface,
mailto://yates(a)ieee.org % til then, I'll leave her alone."
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
From: Jerry Avins on
Randy Yates wrote:
> disney_snoopy <disney_snoopy(a)hotmail.com> writes:

>>> glen, even his specification is incomplete. The input audio should
>>> be STEREO, i.e., left and right.
>>> --
>>> Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
>>> Digital Signal Labs % and kiss her interface,
>>> mailto://ya...(a)ieee.org % til then, I'll leave her alone."http://www.digitalsignallabs.com% 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
>> Hi Glen and Randy,
>>
>> This is my DSP project.
>> what i am doing is use a software to prove the FM stereo is work which
>> can get the outlook structure to this FM stereo broadcast. After get
>> the
>> FM stereo structured, apply an audio frequency to this FM stereo and
>> calculate out the THD.
>>
>> What i know from here is the L+R region is 50Hz to 15kHz. How to
>> implement
>> it to the Matlab i really no idea. Hence, now im finding for help or
>> comment on which command i should use to implement the L+R region.
>> I tried to use multiband coding for this region but i found that i
>> cant code my pilot frequency.
>> The only thing that i can do in this Matlab now is only the pilot
>> freq.
>>
>> So now do you all get what i mean and what i want?
>
> Not really. I'm not good at inferring meaning from poorly-constructed
> sentences.
>
> However, I'm almost positive that if you read this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting#Modulation_characteristics
>
> and can really understand it, especially the section entitled "FM
> stereo," then you will have answered many of your own questions.
>
> It seems you've put the cart before the horse and you are trying
> to implement a system that you really don't understand - that will
> never work.

I have to second that on the evidence that L+R is the mono signal that
any receiver will pick up. The multiplexed part riding on the 38 KHz
carrier is L-R. Stereo vinyl disks are the same way. L+R is the
horizontal movement of the stylus that a mono player will respond to,
while L-R is the encoded in vertical motion. That's what makes it
_compatible_ stereo.

Jerry
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote:
(snip)

> I have to second that on the evidence that L+R is the mono signal that
> any receiver will pick up. The multiplexed part riding on the 38 KHz
> carrier is L-R. Stereo vinyl disks are the same way. L+R is the
> horizontal movement of the stylus that a mono player will respond to,
> while L-R is the encoded in vertical motion. That's what makes it
> _compatible_ stereo.

The story I remember being that horizontal motion for mono records
(vinyl now, but I believe originally something else) such that bearing
noise was not picked up. Somehow that problem was solved before
stereo came out. The other description is that one wall of the
groove has the left channel, the other the right channel.

As I understand it, the record cutters use L+R and L-R, but
playback is done L and R with the appropriate coordinate rotation.

Also, FM stereo is described with the 38kHz subcarrier, but, since
the amplitude of the subcarrier is just right, also as switching
between the two channels at 38kHz. (Filter out any higher
order components.) With a sample rate a multiple of 38kHz it
would be especially easy to generate the signal.

-- glen