From: Bee on
Problem is - what if there is no room on the C: drive and there is a 2T drive
on E: ?
What then?
How does anyone handle this?
I am not going to tell users to move files off the C: drive.
And the C: drive may be to small for what they want to do, so they bought a
2T Drive for data. Shared Data!
I cannot limit what the user wants to do except for the physical size of a
disk on their system, no necessarily C:
More Suggestions? Please!

From: Bee on
2 & 3 are asking about permanence of the setting.
by what i see so far, it is permanent until it is programmatically changed.

not knowing the terminology yet, does the method talked about here in 825751
and 266461 need the logged in user to be a super admin to set permissions for
all for a data folder.
I am only storing text and images i create as directed by the user direct
commands.

if a business system admin want to stop this, then the app will be of no
value to the user when used in this manner.
i have seen that in business situatons a remote folder is assigned to a user
and no other login other than the usual start up login is needed.
so for he business case, this is actually simpler than for a home user.

From: Bee on
thanks
but is it correct that the user can only set the permission level to
him/herself and not allow the data to be shared by others?
I need to allow the text and image files that the user creates to be shared
by all users. the user controls the generation and amount of data.
and as i have stated, it may be mandatory for the user to select a different
drive than C: due to space limitations.

From: mayayana on

> thanks
> but is it correct that the user can only set the permission level to
> him/herself and not allow the data to be shared by others?
> I need to allow the text and image files that the user creates to be
shared
> by all users. the user controls the generation and amount of data.
> and as i have stated, it may be mandatory for the user to select a
different
> drive than C: due to space limitations.

I think that Nobody addressed that. You need to
create the folder(s) during install when you're running
as Admin. Failing that, you'd need another process that
runs as Admin, or just leave it up to the person using
the software to log on as Admin when they create the
folder. Nobody's explanation is pretty much what I thought
was the case: Someone who's running as a normal
user can create a folder, but other "normal users" can't
access it.

From: mayayana on
> I will take a look.
> Thanks

Those are both VBScript hacks with dependencies.
You don't need that. The link I gave you is simple,
concise API code.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Filling an excel range from a vb function
Next: 1.0e to VB6